Skip to content

Updated vgm2mid?

Can it be done without much effort?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I don't know if is a bug or not, but when I convert some VGM to MIDIs of Rainbow Islands, it converts with some low-pitching. Is the clock (OPM in RI is 4.000000, on the standard on some game is ~3.57, and it converts with this clock.) of chips?
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • RockRiver Offline

Post by RockRiver »

Thanks a lot for vgm2mid util.
What about Pokey support on vgm2mid?
Finally I could make Tetris (Atari's Arcade) music score sheets thanks to NES port and the tool NFS2MID but I like a lot the original Arcade music...

or I mean... in a future is crazy idea that all soundchips VGM supported will be vgm2mid supported?

MIDI&code: but the other way: mid2vgm, thanks for great work done... I'm impressed.
I think Plogue's "chipsounds" isn't perfect without missing Export Soundchip Code option. Plogue should hire for the job the soundchip-emulation coders of this web forum. And pay them very well...You are my gods, men. This way I would buy that still incomplete product. Maybe I ask this requirement on Plogue forum, you think so?

For me, a score sheet only musician, is difficult to make real good chiptunes. :cry: sig!! But I know there are some tricks:
- mid2vgm (for the chips supported). VGM file will be convert to original system code? and play it on real machine? I will look for VGM file players on different retro-systems... and tell you.
- Trackers... but are very hard, for a MIDI lover, without written musical symbols. I'm still looking for a tracker with MIDI input option... and tell you.

[ some live music examples thanks to vgm2mid and other "2mid" software. MID files are my second instrument after my violin.
http://www.retroaccion.org/el-retroconc ... k-classics ]
Last edited by RockRiver on 2012-08-20, 19:52:13, edited 10 times in total.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

ValleyBell wrote:Maybe you find this commandline tool useful.
It splits the tracks of MIDI files, so that you get one track for each instrument..
:shock:

You have no idea how long i've been looking for a tool like this. Big thanks!
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • Delon Offline

Post by Delon »

I have problems with converting (GB DMG) vgm files to midi since it has notes in the treble.
I created the vgm files with MESSUI Game Boy Color the output file becomes: gbcolor_0.vgm
  • Cris Offline

Post by Cris »

have another way to convert gb2mid. emu2mid can do this. emu2mid are scripts in .lua that can rip mids of this systems:Pc engine, Nes and Gameboy.
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

Cris, can you provide more info on this? Searching "emu2mid" via google gives me no results.

Post by GTheGuardian »

• Cris Offline

Post by Cris »

GTheGuardian is correct :D .I will disponibilize the full pack for download.
  • Cris Offline

Post by Cris »

here is: http://www.4server.info/download/4share ... tools.html

Valleybell,There is an updated version of mid2vgm or vgm2mid that you have not added the link to download?
Last edited by Cris on 2013-07-18, 5:28:48, edited 1 time in total.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

The links in the "VGM Creators" thread should point to the most recent (released) versions of the tools.
I haven't worked on the mid2vgm tools for ages. I did work a bit on vgm2mid though.
  • Cris Offline

Post by Cris »

Valleybell, I discovered how to convert songs with QSound chip for mid, and also some of MAME games to mid
  • Cris Offline

Post by Cris »

I'm sorry I was too lazy.'ll download Visual Studio 8 and give a link to download the Vgmtrans
Last edited by Cris on 2013-07-24, 0:17:26, edited 2 times in total.
  • Cris Offline

Post by Cris »

I searched for vgmtrans and I found this:https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ff8e6179 ... 00FA5A!112

It's the version of vgmtrans that can rip mids,wav samples and dls from n64,snes,nds,psf,gba roms and psf2 files.I tried to build vgmtrans source code but I only received errors.
Last edited by Cris on 2013-12-13, 4:22:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Colonel Shults »

Hello! I just discovered that I actually can convert non-Ym2612 vgm to midi, and especially I was happy to see YM2151 :D , but the problem is that the most of 2151 vgms are not converting at all! Usually it stops with "Stop statement encountered" or just simply freeze, but rips from TMNT and Psycho soldier actually converting OK, what could be the problem? I tried to log directly from MAME and M1, also the same with rips from this site...
Update: I changed MIDI Tempo Mod. Parameter to multiply with 256/256 and it's worked for Cotton, but not for other vmgs.
Last edited by Colonel Shults on 2014-05-19, 17:08:28, edited 2 times in total.