Skip to content

General JavaScript VGM player discussion

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

Post by vampirefrog »

Clear your cache or something.

• niekniek Offline

Post by niekniek »

Right, excuse me.

Had to enable javascript in the webview and my chrome was caching indeed, jumped to conclusions...
  • mmontag Offline

Post by mmontag »

Wow, I just stumbled on this thread... What is the latest thinking?
Do people want an embedded VGM player on vgmrips?
Listen to VGM ♫ https://chiptune.app (libvgm/VGM 1.71)

Post by vampirefrog »

Yes, we will be using libvgm on a new version of the site. I've frozen development on the current site.
  • niekniek Offline

Post by niekniek »

Well, my Android app is not making a lot of progress because of time and inspiration, but my transpiled version of vgmplay works fine. It's pretty doable to get it to work with libvgm I guess...

https://github.com/niekvlessert/vgmplay-js
  • niekniek Offline

Post by niekniek »

I've been thinking about this a bit... I could create that Android app but it will be not very easy to make the site and the app interact seamless. What if the site took care of that. It would be nice if the site behaved like a decent audio player without downloading every vg(m/z) file every time. Obviously it would be hard to make it 100% perfect, it's still a site, I think the most annoying issue will be Android can decide to stop Chrome. Javascript takes a bit more performance but the past proved this will not be an issue. And it will be compatible for every device that can run Chrome or Firefox.

The storage API can be used to store the music on the host, the site could offer the option to add the whole game to the local storage and display if it's in already. The site itself can work offline as well using https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
  • niekniek Offline

Post by niekniek »

But then again... maybe the best of both worlds. The Android app could have the webview. The webview would just be the site and handles the vgm decoding, the UI and the offline storage of the files. The app will have a service that'll keep the playing working and handles the Bluetooth controls etc.

I wonder if it's possible to get this working... because Android keeps the service running but can kill the app. A webview is usually in the app, a service doesn't have a UI (besides the little menu for controlling playback). Other that that it's pretty nice, no NDK or UI stuff in the app will make it pretty doable.

The website would need to have some playback controls which can be accessed using javascript, that's it I guess.