Skip to content

Need help w/ ripping X68000 FM instruments. Any advice?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

Need help w/ ripping X68000 FM instruments. Any advice?

Post by MastaGambit »

Hey all. New user here. Registered cuz i've come into a bit of a snag with something that someone here may or may not be able to help me with. Maybe a bit complicated, seeing as how this site no longer has a working link to Shiru's old vgm2opm tool, but i'll try my luck anyway.

I was trying to use said vgm2opm tool (the latest version I could find) to convert soundbanks from some .vgm's from Akumajou Dracula X68000 into .opm files which I could load into VOPM, in my DAW of choice. I figured the process would be simple, since the Sharp X68k uses YM2151, which is a fairly popular .vgm type (right beneath YM2612). However, any .opm's the tool successfully generates all have 0 instruments read. I even tried testing it on some random PC-88 & PC-98 .vgm's, and those conversions also returned 0 instruments. Is Shiru's vgm2opm tool really just unable to read soundbank data from anything that isn't a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game? Kinda lame if that's the case, considering it's called vgm2opm and not "ym26122opm" lol

Anyway, so since that avenue is apparently not possible, anyone know of any other ways I could go about getting what i'm after?
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

vampirefrog's vgm2opm should support the YM2151. You might need to build it yourself; just type `make` if you have a toolchain installed.

Post by MastaGambit »

ctr wrote:vampirefrog's vgm2opm should support the YM2151. You might need to build it yourself; just type `make` if you have a toolchain installed.
Thanks for the response! I guess i'm gonna have to learn how to use a toolchain now... lol
  • kingcandy Offline

Post by kingcandy »

Have you tried using mdx2OPM on the mdx set? I was able to get nearly every instrument that way. I also used pdx2wav to rip the samples.
be a hero and stop coppa now!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ