Skip to content

Trying to figure out how to rip VGMs from Sys11/WPC in MAME

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• mystman12 Offline

Trying to figure out how to rip VGMs from Sys11/WPC in MAME

Post by mystman12 »

I'm currently trying to figure out how to create VGMs for all of Williams System 11 and pre-DCS WPC games. I've figured out how to create VGMs through M1, but that doesn't support all of those games, nor does it allow me to play back sound effects.

I've downloaded the modified version of MAME that allows logging VGM files, but I can't figure out how to get into a sound command mode, like PinMAME has. In PinMAME you can press F4 and it will bring you to screen that allows you to send audio commands in hex which allows for easy playback of all sounds and music. Of course that doesn't, by default, allow logging to VGM, only WAV. MAME is also crashing when I set vgmwrite to 1, which isn't making things any easier, but even with that off I can't seem to find anything that would allow me to easily play back all the sounds and music in a game.

So I'm wondering if there's any way to get PinMAME to log to VGM? Or am I missing something in normal MAME that would allow me to do what I'm trying to do? Any help is appreciated!
  • mystman12 Offline

Post by mystman12 »

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this to end up being the solution, but I asked about this on the VPForums and a PinMAME developer actually saw my post and added VGM support to PinMAME! So anyone can now easily create VGMs of pinball music and sounds. There's a few limitations (Mainly drum and voice tracks are missing), but this is still the most powerful tool for ripping pinball music to ever be released, so I'm really excited!
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Thanks, I have added PinMAME to the [pack] VGM Creators topic. Please ping me or VB once a binary release has been published.
  • mystman12 Offline

Post by mystman12 »

ctr wrote:Thanks, I have added PinMAME to the [pack] VGM Creators topic. Please ping me or VB once a binary release has been published.
A binary is actually already available, via the PinMAME beta file attached to the first post on the The VPM alpha/beta thread on VPForums (I'd link it directly, but I'm not allowed to post URLs apparently).