Skip to content

YM2612 DAC Stream Sample Tracks that use 0x93 Commands

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

YM2612 DAC Stream Sample Tracks that use 0x93 Commands

Post by AidanHockey5 »

Hello,

I was just wondering if anybody had any good Megadrive/Genesis VGM files that utilized 0x93 commands for starting their DAC streams. I'm writing a VGM parser, but I can't seem to find any good example tracks that utilize 0x93's to use for testing.
0x95 start commands seem to be the de-facto nowadays, but it would nice to have complete support.

VGM Music Maker appears to have utilized 0x93's, but since the tool is so ancient, finding VGM examples is proving to be rather difficult - especially ones with DAC streams.

If this belongs in the Homebrew section (as only homebrew tracks seem to utilize DAC streams), sorry in advance and feel free to move the thread over.

Thanks!
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

There are various files you can check, though most of them aren't true MegaDrive VGMs.
Knuckles' Chaotix uses command 0x93 for re-synchronizing playback every 1 second. It's using the DAC commands with the 32x PWM though.
Most games on vgmrips that use the DAC are probably using command 0x93 as well.

If you want a true YM2612 VGM, then you could also have a look at some VGMs I made from the music of the "Jester's Challenge" ROM hack.
Those were the VGMs that I made for testing the DAC stream code. (I coded them manually in a hex editor and there are even comments blocks with offset/length/time lists.)

Post by AidanHockey5 »

Ah, this is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks VB!