Skip to content

A new idea: OPN2 to OPM VGM

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• denjhang Offline

A new idea: OPN2 to OPM VGM

Post by denjhang »

I am trying to use vgmplay for msx on openmsx 0.8.0 vgm mod, this player can use Yamaha_SFG-05 to play OPN VGM. Before running the simulator, I added the option -ext Yamaha_SFG-05 to openmsx. Then I played YM2612 VGM using FM only. The sound output by the emulator sounds good, but when I opened the recorded vgm and found that it could not be played normally, I used vgm2txt to find that the ym2151 clock was 0. I used the file editor to manually set the clock for the vgm to 3,575,545hz, and then I played it again. The sound, although the pitch and timbre are normal, but the speed is abnormally slow, it seems to be only 1/4 of the original song. Can anyone tell me how to solve the speed problem?
By the way, the latest version of openmsx does not support YM2151 vgm records.
Attachments
someYM2151vgm.zip
(75.41 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I guess VGM logging in openmsx 0.8.0 is broken then. I never logged any YM2151 VGM with it, so YM2151 logging is definitely untested.

Back then I modded VGM logging directly into the emulator. Modern openMSX versions do VGM logging using a user script. YM2151 probably just didn't get implemented and no one showed interest in it so far.

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to fix the playback speed. The VGM log itself is broken.
(And I'm definitely not fixing the old emulator.)