Skip to content

K005289 and K007232 support

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• mrparn Offline

K005289 and K007232 support

Post by mrparn »

Hi, everyone.

I'd like to, once again, advocate for the inclusion of K007232 and K005289 support in the VGM standard. Actually, last time I touched on the subject (7 years ago), I didn't say anything about the K005289, but I believe the same reasoning should apply.

ValleyBell said he's been hesitant about including such chips, with so few sound channels, and the VGM format being unable to support more than two of them at the same time, and I completely understand this. But seeing as the format itself hasn't been changed for so many years, and the considerable gap in Konami support (more than 20 soundtracks, IIRC), I'd like to argue that we stand to lose more by not adding support for those chips.

So I'd like to suggest an alternative: instead of adding full support for those chips and use up spec space that could eventually be used by other chips, what about treating them as special cases of their more advanced cousins, like the K051649 for the K005289, and the K053260 for the K007232? After all, we know that no Konami machine actually uses more than two of them (there may be a couple exceptions, IIRC), and we also know that they're never used together with their more advanced cousins, so technically nothing would be lost.

I understand this is kind of a kludge, but we already see this kind of thing in other sound chips (the AY8930 comes to mind, except that in this case the more advanced chip is a special case of the less advanced one).

What do you think?

Post by Mao (RN22) »

I think i'm agree with that since k005289 can be hacked by using the 51649 chip, and both of them uses scc.
To-Do list:
?

Current Status: I could only upload 5 VGM packs per VB's stream.
Tempo: 105.95%
Pitch: +1.00

Better Call Mao!

Please, check my WIP list for more updates.