Skip to content

Adlib tracker 2 VGM packs? Dosbox DRO2VGM troubles :(

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• dexx Offline

Adlib tracker 2 VGM packs? Dosbox DRO2VGM troubles :(

Post by dexx »

hi,

let me introduce myself first ;)
i'm Johan from the Netherlands.. i recently returned from holidays in Japan and i brought back.

i have a OPL3 and OPM module for the device and the mainboard self is fitted with a OPN3L IC :mrgreen:

i tried to log some DRO files from Dosbox and used DRO trimmer 4.4 to check if it does the job correctly.. and yes it works!
then i used DRO2VGM... dragged the converted vgm to the SD card.. switch on the G.I.M.I.C, BAM!.. device crashes or the music is really messed up :shock:

the rips on this site are working great, all OPL based songs work.. not the Y8950 :P, the OPN and OPNA and OPM vgms work as long its not using any PCM data.

so... what is the problem here? is there a bug or is it just me?? :devious:
Attachments
DIRTYOLD.7z
(2.19 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
OPL2.7z
(24.32 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Keep in mind that AT2 songs tend to have fairly resource intensive commands. To make this even more complicated, DOSBOX only records log data at 1000Hz resolution instead of 44100Hz.

Not sure what the GIMIC can handle this. I guess this might be a potential thing to incorporate vgm log support for the SDL port of AT2 if someone can be bothered to. Alternatively, record VGMs using MESS instead (good luck setting DOS up)
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • dexx Offline

Post by dexx »

MaliceX wrote:Keep in mind that AT2 songs tend to have fairly resource intensive commands. To make this even more complicated, DOSBOX only records log data at 1000Hz resolution instead of 44100Hz.

Not sure what the GIMIC can handle this. I guess this might be a potential thing to incorporate vgm log support for the SDL port of AT2 if someone can be bothered to. Alternatively, record VGMs using MESS instead (good luck setting DOS up)
there is a dosbox version for G.I.M.I.C, works like a charm on that ;) but i just don't want to be hooked to that pc to play AT2 songs :mrgreen:

Post by vampirefrog »

dexx wrote: i'm Johan from the Netherlands..
Welcome to VGMRips, Johan!
dexx wrote: Image
drools :shock: :shock: :runaway:
  • dexx Offline

Post by dexx »

Admin edit: removed fullquote
  • dexx Offline

Post by dexx »

hmm i'm really a noob, gimic crashes all the time :bash: why!!!! :( is there a tutorial??
Attachments
to VGM please.zip
(49.83 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
  • MrKsoft Offline

Post by MrKsoft »

I've been working on a VGM archiving project of music from OPL trackers, so I actually had a few from your last post already converted. I don't think they'll work any better (they're probably almost identical) but please try them just for the hell of it:
fank5.a2m
weirdsnd.a2m
whak.a2m
I know they work okay on my Win98 PC with OPL3 hardware passthrough, but that's all. I don't really know what this GIMIC device is, but I guess it's possible that it has a flawed playback engine, or doesn't support newer VGM versions.

EDIT: I just tried my own logging of DIRTYOLD.AMD that you posted above with the broken DRO/VGM. Mine came out fine, both recording from Adlib Tracker II and from AdPlay (my preferred option for non-A2M modules). I'm trimming it and I'll add it to the archive in a few minutes (EDIT2: Here ya go). For comparison, converting your DRO with my copy of dro2vgm just gave the same result, so that seems to point at your DRO being the problem. Are you using ValleyBell's modified DOSBox build? It has some slight changes meant to assist VGM logging, and is the build I use.
The Wafflenet OPL Archive
PC/DOS demoscene & tracker music... in VGM format!

Post by vampirefrog »

Thanks for the link MrKsoft, added it to the libraries page. Do you have a total count?
  • MrKsoft Offline

Post by MrKsoft »

Only 77 right now (songs, no packs since these aren't from games). It's still in the extremely early stages, and I've been doing these entirely myself so far.
Last edited by MrKsoft on 2015-05-04, 23:31:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post by vampirefrog »

Thanks, good job. When you reach 100, I'll add it to the front page.
  • dexx Offline

Post by dexx »

oh cool :) all the VGM rips from MrKsoft are working! no missing instruments :devious: found out it has to be converted for a YM3812 or YMF262, if it's DualOPL2.. bam CRASH!.. :mrgreen:
  • grauw Offline

Post by grauw »

@MrKsoft Nice, I’ve added the link to the vgmplay-msx readme. Although the OPL4 (MoonSound) is a popular expansion cartridge for MSX that still sells today, nearly all music has been made for the wave part only. FM-wise we’re still stuck in the OPL/OPLL-age. So all those OPL2 and OPL3 VGMs are really welcome! :)
  • dexx Offline

Post by dexx »

ok guys... enjoy this GIMIC DEMO!!! :mrgreen:
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Hey. Just testing the vgm logging support in AdlibTracker II. giz a look see

Madbrain - "Oskari the Heimfanker" (FANK5.A2M):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/128 ... rimmed.vgz <- too many commands
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/128 ... imized.vgz <- may alleviate some stress?

recorded in full 44100Hz vgm log resolution (remember that DOSBOX logs at 1000Hz command rate). I've just tested this with my CMI8738. It still drops some stuff, but it's a lot better than previously. grauw or dexx, maybe this one might actually work ok?

EDIT: AdlibTracker II SDL exe (win32) with vgm logging enabled you can get here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iwuixdkung33 ... g.exe?dl=0 - Best to place it in the same directory as your standard AT2 installation.

This executable will basically keep logging for the lifetime of AdlibTracker II, so you will definitely want to use vgm_trim on the resultant file. Those who have logged using the MAME vgm mod will understand how this works. It may have some bugs (unknown commands? usually fixed with vgm_cmp)

Also Freepascal is dog turd.
Last edited by MaliceX on 2020-09-19, 1:20:05, edited 1 time in total.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • MrKsoft Offline

Post by MrKsoft »

Hm, neither of those are dropping commands on my SB16. They don't sound any different than my DOSBox version, either. However, it does seem to make a difference on other songs-- but possibly only in emulation?

Attached example: Madbrain - Oskari Wins the Game (OS_WINS.A2M). Dosbox log has glitched percussion in VGMPlay/in_vgm with emulation. AT2 log is fine. Both sound identical on hardware. Seems the increased sampling resolution fixes some emulation quirks and of course is just more accurate in general. Taking that into consideration, I'll probably start using this for my A2M logs.
Attachments
os_wins-AT2_optimized.vgm
AT2 log
(525.21 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
os_wins-Dosbox_optimized.vgm
Dosbox log
(545.95 KiB) Downloaded 363 times