SystemFM Towns
Sound ChipsYM3438
Tracks28
Playing time53:53
Pack authormarklincadet
Pack version1.00
Last Update2022-08-08

Pack author's comment
This soundtrack's basically the PC-98 version with the PSG instruments replaced with FM instruments trying to be PSG ones. They really do sound the same in places but quite different in others, interesting stuff.

Post by npeckthevgmguy521 »

I mean, this is rare, but good!
Some instruments need tweaking, like for instance, you can hear a FM towns soundtrack more clearly here, in Rhythm and Pixel's FM Towns episode, 21 minutes in: https://rhythmandpixels.com/2017/05/15/ ... -fm-towns/

Post by marklincadet »

Listening to the song being played on the podcast and comparing it to the VGM rips... I think they're playing the PC-98 version, not the FM Towns version. Compare the noise instrument around the 22 minute mark in the podcast to the same section in the VGMs (about 1 minute in), and it sounds much closer to the PC-98 rip than the FM Towns rip.

The FM Towns version should not sound the exact same as the PC-98 version, since the SSG noise in the PC-98 is being substituted for FM instruments in the FM Towns. I don't know where the Rhythm and Pixels guys got their recording from, but I think they used the PC-98 version by mistake because it sounds so similar.

Post by npeckthevgmguy521 »

Okay. I thought it was that but oh well :)
Anyway, what program you ripped it from?

Post by marklincadet »

I used the MAME VGM mod to rip it. As far as I know, it's the only way to rip FM Towns soundtracks right now.