Sound ChipsYM2151, OKIM6258
Tracks10
Playing time18:58
Pack authorBoxCubed
Pack version1.00
Last Update2022-07-29

• MrKsoft Offline

Post by MrKsoft »

Thanks for getting this one. I was working on it some time ago, but needed to re-log it due to recent(ish) fixes in the XM6 VGM logging... and never did.

That said, it sounds like "Talaria" is missing some of the percussion during the fade-in at the beginning. The drums should be audible as soon as the song starts, per the game's intro. Same when selecting the track in the music test.
The Wafflenet OPL Archive
PC/DOS demoscene & tracker music... in VGM format!
  • BoxCubed Offline

Post by BoxCubed »

After listening to the game's intro closely, I think it's safe to say the drums coming in later is on purpose. If you have ways to recreate it, then I'm welcome to add that version to the pack.
  • MrKsoft Offline

Post by MrKsoft »

I did some looking into this. I'm not sure if we are looking at a MAME inaccuracy, or that there are two different versions of this game floating around that have differences.
What I can say for sure is that I ran the game on my real X68000 and the drums fade in. It also does the same in XM6. I have not had a moment to set up a recent MAME to try it yet.
(For potential comparison purposes to your copy, on my copy of the game files, T94X.X is 51316 bytes with a date of 4/5/1994, and the music file for Talaria, TALAR.ZMC, is 1180 bytes with a date of 3/19/1994.)

Here is my own log from XM6 2.05 VGM Mod (this is redone on the 2021 update, so should be ok). Pre-trimmed but have not messed with it apart from that since I don't have opt_oki.
https://wafflenet.com/files/vgmrips/Tal ... mmed_1.zip

edit: Forgot to mention there is a video from 2012 that matches your VGM log: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWmIfi2yHQ
Hence why I am thinking there could be multiple versions. I doubt someone just recording the music would have used MAME back then for that.
The Wafflenet OPL Archive
PC/DOS demoscene & tracker music... in VGM format!
  • BoxCubed Offline

Post by BoxCubed »

After looking at this, it seems that you logged an alternative version of the game that uses PCM8 to mix the SFX and the drums. The result of that leads to the drums not fading-in for Talaria and just playing in the beginning. This is why opt_oki throws warnings at me when I try to optimize this, so I'll going to leave the pack as-is.