TitleGimmick!
ComposerMasashi Kageyama
SystemFamily Computer
Tracks20
Playing time28:05
Pack authorctr
Pack version1.01
Last Update2020-02-08

Download NES/Gimmick!_(Family_Computer).zip (739 630 bytes)

Pack author's comment
Covers the Japanese version of this game. PAL is similar, except with no expansion audio and off key instruments.

Post by JFD62780 »

. . . I do believe Slow Illusion plays before Paradox, as the latter tune sounds like a Pre-Boss tune...

Other than that, the release is a work of art!
Until next post...
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

I took the track order from Rom Cassette Disc in Sunsoft, I forgot to mention that in the description file...
  • rainwarrior Offline

Post by rainwarrior »

This statement on the player page is false:
"You can listen to the European version by just muting the YM2149/AY8910."

The European version is not the same as the Japanese version with channels muted. It was recomposed to fit fewer channels.

I made the relevant (E) version NSF rip if you want to verify that this is true:
http://nsf.joshw.info/g/Gimmick!%20EUR% ... unsoft).7z

This pack does not really represent the (E) version at all.

Also not sure if the "/AY8910" is appropriate, as there are relevant differences in the chip from YM2149 (in particular the clock speed is doubled, as well as the envelope resolution, though envelopes are not used in this soundtrack). It is definitively a clone of the YM2149 and not the AY-3-8910.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

rainwarrior wrote: "You can listen to the European version by just muting the YM2149/AY8910."
Valley Bell added that part :mrgreen:. We found out about the differences and this was actually pointed out in IRC hours after the site update but for some reason the statement wasn't removed.

I did originally mention that this pack only covers the JP version, hence the "Family Computer" in the system field. But the EU version I actually didn't listen for more than a few seconds before getting bothered by the off key DPCM (emulation issue?)...

Also the reason why the AY8910 is mentioned is because the YM2149 shares the same mute settings as the AY8910.
  • rainwarrior Offline

Post by rainwarrior »

ctr wrote:But the EU version I actually didn't listen for more than a few seconds before getting bothered by the off key DPCM (emulation issue?)...
Ah, yeah some NSF players don't support PAL very well. (An old version of VirtuaNSF maybe?) With correct emulation it should be perfectly in tune.

(Incidentally, Nintendo's Virtual Console emulator plays PAL DPCM out of tune too... Sunsoft's Ufouria is on there and the music sucks because of this.)

Post by GeneralFailer »

Tracks 10 and 16 don't seem to loop properly.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

They do.

Post by GeneralFailer »

I mean, yeah, maybe technically they do, but they are even shorter than their abridged Rom Cassette Disc In SUNSOFT soundtrack versions, let alone the ones from the NSFe file.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess I didn't realize the loop was so short. Sorry.
  • LuNiney Offline

Post by LuNiney »

a bit of a bump but i feel i should ask out of curiosity, would a rerip be needed to achieve the effect of "bit reversal" for DPCM samples (since that's what happens in-game and in other sunsoft games too making the samples lower quality than they really are)
or could that be added as an option in vgmplay maybe? I believe a toggle option for that was added to NSFplay...