Skip to content

YM2608's rhythm sound samples used in other Yamaha product!

Talk about whatever you want. General forum rules still apply.

Moderator: Staff

• Dekyo-NO Offline

YM2608's rhythm sound samples used in other Yamaha product!

Post by Dekyo-NO »

Hi everyone,

I was bored, so I downloaded a sample pack an hour ago. It contains a very varied amount of drum machine samples.
When I was exploring and examining them, I've found a big surprise!
The Yamaha DD10 uses the same (SAME!) samples as the YM2608's rhytm sound source. Of course, the DD10 adds more samples, including them in different pitches.

Did anyone know about this? Has anyone found similarities in other Yamaha products? If not, then please share this finding as much as you can!

Post by 1983parrothead »

Some late Vic Tokai MD/GEN games and this related odd-named arcade Hotdog Storm have some similarities to the YM2608:

http://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/hotdog-storm-arcade
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

Great soundtrack but I don't found any similarities with YM2608's rhythm sound source.
  • Shywolf Offline

Post by Shywolf »

Those Vic Tokai MD games also aren't (AFAIK) using samples that sound like the OPNA's rhythm section. Hotdog Storm uses FM drums, not drum samples. I'm confused as to what the point of that post actually is.

Anyways, it was recently discovered that the Yamaha YRW801 sample ROM often paired with the OPL4 contains more or less the same sample set as found in Yamaha's TG100 sound module. So, it is not unheard of for Yamaha to re-use sample assets across various products.
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

@Shywolf I know that about the TG100. And yeah the Hotdog Storm uses percussion made with FM.

To the topic. For me it was unexpected that Yamaha would reuse the rhythm samples of the YM2608 in one of his drum machines. At the same time I liked that.