SystemCP System II
Sound ChipsQSound
Tracks72
Playing time1:10:49
Pack authorValley Bell
Pack version2.02
Last Update2012-10-07

Pack author's comment
If you haven't listened to this yet, you missed something.
  • Knurek Offline

Re: Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers

Post by Knurek »

ValleyBell wrote:[align=center]
Does this have the correct aspect ratio? AFAIK, CPS1/2 games used standard 4:3 monitors, so shouldn't the screenshot be resized to that?
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Screenshots should never be resized. The game outputs 1234×5678, the screenshot is 1234×5678.
Also known as nineko.
  • Knurek Offline

Post by Knurek »

Tom wrote:Screenshots should never be resized. The game outputs 1234×5678, the screenshot is 1234×5678.
The thing is, the games were outputting 384x224 resolution on a 4:3 screen (because you can do so with a CRT monitor). So IMO, the screenshots should also be made with 4:3 aspect ratio - that's how the game looked in the arcades.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

By doing so you would alter the art information in an unrecoverable way. We provide raw screenshots to preserve the art; if you want to resize it later, you can do so. If we provided resized screenshots, you wouldn't be able to get the original art back. As a rule of thumb, any manipulation that alters the original data should be avoided at any cost. The same, actually, applies to the vgm files themselves: you can apply any kind of filter or any kind of EQ on them during playback if you want, but they store the original music information.
Also known as nineko.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

Good to seen some SF games ripped. I has in my local hospital (again), when exit, I start to ripping the SF2 pinball table (uses OPM to play music, MSM6295 is used for voices).
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Oh wow, this pack has had a problem with the playlists, I can't believe nobody noticed about it. All the files in the playlists have had a .vgm extension, but the actual files are .vgz, I will fix and reupload this pack soon just fixed it.
Also known as nineko.
  • Lee Bee Offline

Post by Lee Bee »

Can anyone tell me: Does Super Street Fighter II Turbo have different music to Super Street Fighter II?

The Wikipedia entry for Turbo says:
"The music and sound effects were also remade"

However, this pack doesn't have separate music for Turbo? And to me the music sounds identical in both games. I'm guessing Wikipedia is wrong as usual?
Tom wrote:By doing so you would alter the art information in an unrecoverable way. We provide raw screenshots to preserve the art; if you want to resize it later, you can do so. If we provided resized screenshots, you wouldn't be able to get the original art back.
I know this is a very old discussion but I just wanted to point out that you can convert non-4:3 images to 4:3 without losing the original image data. You just need to make sure of two things:

1. You use the "nearest neighbor" method, to preserve the hard edges of the pixels
2. And (obviously) scale the image up rather than down. (In the case of Street Fighter images, you would increase the vertical resolution from 224 to 288 pixels.)

This means the resulting image is 4:3, none of the original image data is lost, and the image can be converted back to the original image if needed.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

There are a few tracks in Turbo that aren't in the original ("The New Challengers") version. The VGM pack has separate m3u playlists for each version, so you can compare them if you want details.

The main problem with nearest-neighour scaling with non-integer factors is that the image looks terrible, IMO. It still might look sort of okay when you scale with 1.5x, but scaling from 224 to 288 pixels is 9/7, which looks really bad especially with thin lines and text.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

If you just distribute the original non-rescaled screenshots you can use software to present it in whatever aspect ratio you feel like.
  • Lee Bee Offline

Post by Lee Bee »

ctr wrote:If you just distribute the original non-rescaled screenshots you can use software to present it in whatever aspect ratio you feel like.
I know, but for website images it's nice when images don't look distorted. I guess it depends what the images will be used for.
ValleyBell wrote:There are a few tracks in Turbo that aren't in the original ("The New Challengers") version. The VGM pack has separate m3u playlists for each version, so you can compare them if you want details.
Thanks for the info! I've just looked at the playlists and it seems that the only tunes unique to Turbo are the two Gouki tunes. As far as I can tell, that's it!
ValleyBell wrote:The main problem with nearest-neighour scaling with non-integer factors is that the image looks terrible, IMO.
I agree that "nearest neighbor" can look a little uneven if you only scale by a small amount.

The solution is to simply scale it up larger, for example I've scaled this up to "double-width" (from 384x224 to 768x576):