Skip to content

VGM Video renderer

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

VGM Video renderer

Post by vampirefrog »

I was looking at SMSPower! and it looks like they embed a youtube player on their VGM set pages, with waveforms of the chip channels. I was thinking it would be nice to have something similar, a tool that renders the waveforms in a tiled fashion, one tile per channel, and with the pack image as the background, so we can generate videos and upload them on an official channel. Perhaps for VGMs with too many channels, render piano keyboards similar to MMDSP or just very small waveforms, I dunno. But it sounds like a nice project for anyone willing to take it up. I am not sure what you'd use as the VGM backend, either libvgm or vgmplay. Might require some customizing.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Right now MDPlayer is the only player that I'm aware of that shows the playing notes on each channel.

To get the note number, convert the F-number (chip-specific) to Hz, divide by a center frequency and calculate the base-12 logarithm.

Generally, for PSG and FM chips this is not too hard to implement, the reference frequency is going to either be constant or depend on a fixed value (the multiply settings for FM chips), for PCM it is a little harder as the reference frequency depends on how the sample is tuned.

Personally I'm against Youtube for the time being. Vintagamers recently got copyright strikes by Taito and B-cat software for uploading VGMs from this site. Having all this in a JS player and played back locally would be best.

2 programs

Post by RandomName »

Here are links to 2 programs that do that

SidWizPlus

Corrscope
  • kingcandy Offline

Post by kingcandy »

thanks for bringing these to our attention. there's appearently a fork of synthesia that uses nsfs as input, but it doesn't have video rendering.
be a hero and stop coppa now!
http://chng.it/DNc2L8LvLJ