Skip to content

vgm2midi

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

vgm2midi

Post by vampirefrog »

Hi, I've started a little project here, to extract MIDI events and FM voices (.opm files) from VGM files, my only problem is that I'd rather use libvgm, so my question for VallleyBell is, would it be possible with the current code to do this in a modular way? Some sort of class for every supported chip, and written fairly cleanly?

Anyway, you don't need to look at the code, it just barely manages to work with YM2612 for now, and it also gets the FM voices and saves them into a .mid and a .opm file, but I figured it would be a good test case for libvgm. I also plan to make vgm2txt in this modular fashion, and perhaps a txt2vgm tool, that might be nice, which would compile a vgm2txt dump back into a vgm file, and that would also test the write functionality of libvgm, which afaik currently doesn't exist.

Post by vampirefrog »

I also figured, if it's libvgm, that would allow to use all the other supported formats (dro and s98, I think).