SystemMSX2
Sound ChipsYM2413, AY-3-8910
Tracks17
Playing time11:56
Pack authorDario011
Pack version1.03
Last Update2020-10-10

Pack author's comment
Is my first VGM rip using kss2vgm, is the FM version.
Last edited by Dario011 on 2020-02-23, 22:48:36, edited 1 time in total.
  • Dario011 Offline

Hydefos - Hyper Defending Force System

Post by Dario011 »

I created the PSG version of Hydefos now.

EDIT: The tracks 6 and 13 are very badly trimmed, I will re-trimmed them again, and delete the use of YM2413 in the PSG version.

EDIT 2: The track 13 has a different loop than the FM version, because the whole song is looped, the file was reloaded, sorry for this.
Attachments
Hydefos - Hyper Defending Force System (MSX2, PSG).zip
(325.38 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

separate topic for the PSG version, please

Also, in case you update your submitted pack, please make a notification post that you did so. (You can replace the file in the OP, but I want a notification post to make sure I don't miss the update.)
  • Dario011 Offline

Post by Dario011 »

I can't delete my reply, how do you delete it?

VB edit: removed fullquote
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Looping sound smooth, tags look good. (And there are Japanese tags as well, nice!)
The reference link for the track list is also a nice addition.

I still have a few nitpicks though:
  • As specified by the rules, the file name format is "## Track Title.vgz" without a dash. The file names are fine otherwise.
  • Please make a screenshot in 1x scale. In openMSX, there is a "-raw" option that allows you to take non-scaled screenshots.
    The general rule is: go for 1x scale first, then maybe do a 1x2 or 2x1 scale in order to fix the aspect ratio. (e.g. the PC-88/98 resolution 640x200 needs a 1x2 scale, making 640x400, in order to not look squished)
    We generally avoid non-integer pixel multiplication and blurry images.
  • Please make the song list in the style noted in the rules post.
    My pack checking tools don't allow right-aligned song titles, even though they may look nice.
    But I like how the line breaks are at spots that "make sense". :)
  • A very, very minor nitpick: The txt still has an vgm-mdscene-net link, which is not only out-of-date, but also leads to some spam site nowadays.
    Next time please use the template file linked in the "Description File Rules" section of the rules post.
    (The mdscene link also doesn't pass my pack verification tools. But if that's the only issue, I usually fix it when repacking for the site.)
  • EDIT: I assume you used vgmlpfnd for most of the tracks, right?
    Could you please try to manually loop "Area-6"? The current loop seems to be excessively long, especially compared to the other tracks.
  • Please vgm_cmp on the VGMs. It reduces the size to about 10% for every song in this pack.
Also:
Dario011 wrote:I can't delete my reply, how do you delete it?
I'm admin. I have to be able to do that. :P
  • Dario011 Offline

Post by Dario011 »

Done.
I added notes on the vgms, everything was with vgmlpfnd, with the song of Area-6 it was a problem, but I can't loop the song (in an advanced way).
The game screenshot was with blueMSX, but change the screenshot with openMSX
(Although I changed with the "none (larger borders)" option.

EDIT:. I ordered it in more detail the description, @ValleyBell You will have to trim the track 13 (Area-6), you can add yourself like the one that did that, sorry for many minor updates :( .
And vgm_cmp'ed.
Attachments
Hydefos - Hyper Defending Force System (MSX2, FM).zip
(91.85 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

The new screenshot looks good.

I checked Area-6 and the loop is indeed that long. (It jumps back to the intro at 4:17.)
However I think the songs 13 Area-6 and 08 Visual Alien are looped incorrectly.

Looking at the PSG VGM rip, most tracks just loop back to the very beginning. I think those two tracks do that as well.
(Track 13 probably loops from 0:06 to 4:23 approximately.)
Can you check the loop of 14 Visual Great Race as well? I have a suspicion that it loops back to the beginning as well.
  • Dario011 Offline

Post by Dario011 »

Can you check the loop of 14 Visual Great Race as well?
I'm someone who goes for the "easy way" to find a loop in the songs, it's not lazy or something, and I can't find a good loop with Audacity (with the song exported to .wav).
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Dario011 wrote:I can't find a good loop with Audacity (with the song exported to .wav).
This should help you. Seriously, it is not very difficult to trim VGMs manually. A single song can be done in just a few minutes.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

... still waiting for a fix for the incorrect loops ...
  • Dario011 Offline

Post by Dario011 »

1) Thanks for adding the Ripping of R-Type (PC-88VA) for official release in VGMRips.
2) Decide to see (finally), the problem, try to see through Audacity, and more or less I got that (There are two types of looping, one with Audacity (it didn't do much good), and the other with vgmlpfnd).
(If one of the files is suitable for ripping, I will add them now, and make the "final" version.)
Attachments
13 Area-6 (What's Goin'on in the Chase)_trimmed2.vgm
Trimmed with vgmlpfnd (Start: 0/Loop: 2046/End: 11321465).
(949.15 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
13 Area-6 (What's Goin'on in the Chase)_trimmed1.vgm
Trimmed with Audacity (I tried).
(991.17 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I'm afraid you can't just take the incorrectly trimmed/looped VGMs and just retrim them.
That's especially the case when you trimmed the end off, like in 08 Visual Alien.

You need to log the song again and trim that.
For example I recommend logging song 13 for 9 minutes in order to have 2 full loops in the raw log.

That said, the vgmlpfnd loop doesn't seem too bad, but please try reading the Manual looping tutorial again and have another try.
If you have any questions, feel free to use the chat box.

The "Audacity" version of course didn't work, because you took the improperly trimmed VGM and did ... something with it. Now it doesn't loop at all and the notes hang for 3 minutes at the end.
  • Dario011 Offline

Post by Dario011 »

The song 13 Area-6 (What's Goin'on in the Chase) does that long 4 minute loop, and is demonstrated by re-ripping the song again and viewing it from Audacity, and listening to the song from the aforementioned album for the song names.
(The ripping was done with kss2vgm, so that it lasts 10 minutes)

The song taken from the album: https://vgmdownloads.com/soundtracks/hy ... ion%29.mp3
Attachments
Hydefos (MSX)(1989)(Hertz).vgm
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
Screenshot_59.png
  • Dario011 Offline

Post by Dario011 »

Looking at the loop errors in songs 08 Visual Alien (Visual Scene 1), and 13 Area-6 (What's Goin'on in the Chase), the first one doesn't have a loop, and the second one has that full 4 minute loop , and to do it fast, I ended up doing the loops wrong, but I finished this ripping of both the FM and the PSG versions (which I am going to put in their respective thread).

EDIT: The songs of the visual scenes do loop according to the album.

Download the files again, sorry for the inconvenience.
Attachments
Hydefos - Hyper Defending Force System (MSX2, FM).zip
(91.66 KiB) Downloaded 153 times