Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Could you be more specific? A log of the output when you run "make MACOS=1" would be good. The windows binary should work with wine.
  • lo zaffo Offline

Post by lo zaffo »

Hello,

today, in order to have libvgm player working on Windows 10,
I had to override option(AUDIODRV_XAUDIO2 ... and option(AUDIODRV_WASAPI ... of audio\CMakeLists.txt to cut out both XAUDIO2 and WASAPI
like this

Code: Select all

C:\Users\gzaff\Devs\libvgm\build>cmake -DAUDIODRV_WASAPI=OFF -DAUDIODRV_XAUDIO2=OFF ..
C:\Users\gzaff\Devs\libvgm\build>cmake --build . --config Release
Does anybody have XAUDIO2 and/or WASAPI problem with Windows 10?

Giangiacomo
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

what build environment are you using? I generally recommend MinGW-w64 on MSYS2.
  • lo zaffo Offline

Post by lo zaffo »

ctr wrote:what build environment are you using? I generally recommend MinGW-w64 on MSYS2.
I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 Community edition, it has CMake (and git and ninja), so I say MSVC and CMake.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I never had any issues with XAudio2 and WASAPI when building with MSVC 2010 or 2017.
When building with MinGW, WASAPI is disabled due to missing header files.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Today is the 9th birthday of vgmrips. (yes, really)

I think this is a good day to present to you:
VGMPlay v0.50, powered by libvgm

You can download a Windows build here. It even includes a 64-bit build with zlib built-in.
If you want to build it from source, you need to build libvgm first and then build the VGMPlay-libvgm source. If you build both using CMake, package finding should be automatic.

The most important updates are:
  • updated sound emulation, including Nuked OPL3 sound core
  • support for S98 files
  • drop multiple VGMs/M3Us on VGMPlay to play them all
  • per-channel panning for a few sound cores (previously only in_vgm could do that)
The configuration file also received some changes, but the old file is mostly compatible with the new version.

There are a few features that didn't make it into the rewrite. This includes exotic stuff like playback on OPL3 hardware and support for CMF files, but also multimedia key/dbus support, which was added to the VGMPlay repo after the 0.40.9 release. And Nuked OPM, which I need to add to libvgm.
Some of these features will return sooner or later.

There is no in_vgm release right now, sorry. I'll work on that later.

I hope you enjoy the new VGMPlay version!
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Question, did you change some Unicode-related setting in the file handler?

I suspect that you're mixing UTF-8 with Windows-1252, because vgmplay.exe now can't open files with special characters in the filenames anymore, both as single files and as playlist entries. I noticed while playing the soniNeko OST, which contains "å" and "ñ", and those files couldn't be opened because of mojibake. I remember them working in the previous version(s).
Also known as nineko.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Sorry, but it looks like I indeed broke all non-ASCII file names. :(

The old version was using CP1252 to store file names internally. I'm using UTF-8 now, but I apparently forgot to do the codepage conversion when opening the VGMs.
  • Joswerty45 Offline

Post by Joswerty45 »

Good evening, dear one who was in charge of creating the new version of VGMPlay 0.50. My name is Josmar, I am a user from Peru who has been looking for a way to listen to my VGM in high quality. I am writing to you at this moment because I have realized that the program, both in playback and in export in WAV format, more specifically with the VGM files of Street Fighter II (World Warrior and Champion Edition), apparently the instruments where it sounds the YM2151 chip, they sound very low and the percussion instruments of the OKIM6295 chip sound louder. This has only happened to me with the VGMs of the Street Fighter II of the CPS1, with other VGMs of other games such as TMNT Turtles In Time or Sunset Riders, even with The Simpsons, it sounds normal or regular Do you think it could be an error or problem in the VGM or maybe the VGMPlayer 0.50? If there is a solution, I would love if you could share it with me. I am very sorry to bother you and to be writing to you on the eve of Christmas.

Admin edit: Removed fullquote.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Hmm ... IIRC VGMPlay 0.4x scanned the VGM's "System" tag for "CP System 1" and lowered the volume of the OKI6295 then.
I don't think I ported this hack to the VGMPlay 0.50, as I wanted to get rid of as many hacks as possible.
The VGM format allows you to specify the volume of each chip since v1.70. (When I made the original hack, there was no VGM v1.70 yet, so I had to go with a workaround.)
  • Joswerty45 Offline

Post by Joswerty45 »

SO ... how could I solve my little problem? I want to export the Street Fighter II ost from the CPS1 from VGMPlay 0.5. Is there a way to solve this?

Admin edit: Removed fullquote.
Please don't quote the previous post unless you really have a reason. There is a "post reply" button, you know?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Currently your only choice is to use VGMPlay 0.40.9.
  • Joswerty45 Offline

Post by Joswerty45 »

Okay, however, does that mean you're going to need to modify VGMPlay 0.50 or update it? It's just a question out of curiosity, because on the VGMPlay 0.50, the OKIM chip sounds excellent and very sharp, but the YM 2151 sounds very low, on some VGM it sounds ok and on others very low or decent.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I'll probably just update the packs with the information about YM2151 <-> OKIM6295 volume, which they lack currently.
  • Joswerty45 Offline

Post by Joswerty45 »

Ok, thank you so much for the answers.