Skip to content

Game Boy VGM files on Audio Overload

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• Yug Guy Offline

Game Boy VGM files on Audio Overload

Post by Yug Guy »

I have tried to use Audio Overload to play the Game Boy rips you guys host on-site. However, when I load any file into the player, it doesn't recognize it at all and refuses to play.

Normally, I use Foobar2000 with the GEP plugin to isolate channels, but I use Audio Overload specifically for its recording functionality, which has proved useful to provide a direct audio sample which can be imported into a DAW and slowed down. There are many songs that I would like to use this for, but since I can't play any of the music back it leaves me dead in the water.

Does anyone know how I can get AO to recognize the VGM file type for Game Boy, or know of an alternative that I could use?
  • Gnome Offline

Post by Gnome »

Actually, Foobar2000 does an excellent job at playing back the VGM files and outputting the WAV file. I suggest that you ditch AO for it since the former is a very outdated program from 2007 that's no longer being supported.

You can start by downloading the latest version of foo_input_vgm from here. There should be a lone white button beneath all the text. Wait until it downloads and install it. Also, make sure to disable (untick) GEP's VGM playback beforehand, as its core is older and it'd cause conflicts between the two plugins.

Now, to disable individual channels in foo_input_vgm, navigate to "VGM input" in your plugin library, then go to "Chips Options" and in the first drop-down menu select "GB DMG", the Gameboy's sound chip. Here you can enable and disable individual channels by (un)ticking them. I believe it should affect the VGM immediately, but if it doesn't, try stopping the song and playing it from the beginning.

I think you already know how to output a WAV file in Foobar, but in case you don't, right click on the song -> Convert -> Quick Convert -> WAV.
These days I mostly maintain old/faulty packs.
  • Yug Guy Offline

Post by Yug Guy »

Thank you, that seems to have done the trick

Though,
Gnome wrote:I suggest that you ditch AO for it since the former is a very outdated program from 2007 that's no longer being supported.
To my knowledge, AO is the only program I know of that can isolate channels of PS1 soundfiles. If there's another more recent program that can do that, then I'd love to hear about it
  • Gnome Offline

Post by Gnome »

Well I was talking in the context of VGM files.
These days I mostly maintain old/faulty packs.