Sound ChipsJMB-X1 (2xYM2151+YM2149)
Tracks23
Playing time1:16:34
Pack authordenjhang
Pack version1.02
Last Update2023-02-17

Post by Kaminari »

Excellent soundtrack!

But for some reason, it totally stutters on in_vgm and foo_input_vgm with the Nuked OPM core (Mame core works correctly).
Strangely enough, VGMPlay with the Nuked core doesn't have any issue.
  • zerovision Offline

Post by zerovision »

From what I remember, GORRY is Hiroaki Goto and Yu-You is likely Hideya Nagata.
  • Dekyo-NO Offline

Post by Dekyo-NO »

Kaminari wrote:But for some reason, it totally stutters on in_vgm and foo_input_vgm with the Nuked OPM core (Mame core works correctly).
Yep, same for me.
  • denjhang Offline

Post by denjhang »

Dekyo-NO wrote:
Kaminari wrote:But for some reason, it totally stutters on in_vgm and foo_input_vgm with the Nuked OPM core (Mame core works correctly).
Yep, same for me.
I recommend you to use the latest version of in_vgm. I'm currently using in_vgm v0.50.1 and the latest version of MDPlayer without any issues.
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

Kaminari wrote:Excellent soundtrack!

But for some reason, it totally stutters on in_vgm and foo_input_vgm with the Nuked OPM core (Mame core works correctly).
On my i3-8145U CPU at 2.3GHz emulating single YM2151 takes about 90% of a CPU core, and 2 of them are not possible to run in a single thread without stuttering, which is likely to be issue here. If I overclock CPU to 3.9GHz it does work most of the time with only occasional stutter.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Nuked OPM is known to be very, very demanding.
The 64-bit version of VGMPlay seems to perform slightly better than the 32-bit version for some reason. The plugins are only available as a 32-bit version, so maybe that is where the difference comes from.
  • denjhang Offline

Post by denjhang »

tails_ wrote:

On my i3-8145U CPU at 2.3GHz emulating single YM2151 takes about 90% of a CPU core, and 2 of them are not possible to run in a single thread without stuttering, which is likely to be issue here. If I overclock CPU to 3.9GHz it does work most of the time with only occasional stutter.
It is well known that intel's low voltage CPUs perform poorly, especially low voltage i3 processors. So for performance, I only buy standard i7 computers. Especially using MDPlayer, this software takes up a lot of CPU.

Post by Kaminari »

On my Ryzen 2600X at 4 GHz, the dual YM2151 uses 1% of CPU with the Mame core and 6% with the Nuked core.

Considering VGMPlay has no problem playing those files, I tend to agree that the 32-bit plugins might be the culprits. Unfortunately I can't try the 64-bit version of foo_input_vgm since I'm still using the 32-bit version of Foobar 2.0 (for compatibility reasons).
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Kaminari wrote:On my Ryzen 2600X at 4 GHz, the dual YM2151 uses 1% of CPU with the Mame core and 6% with the Nuked core.
Keep in mind that, for a 12-thread CPU, "100% usage for a single-threaded process" means "8.3% total usage" in the task manager. "6% total" could mean between 72 and 83% for a single thread, so there isn't much leeway left.

In a vgm2wav test I just made, 32-bit VGMPlay was about 20% slower than 64-bit VGMPlay.
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

denjhang wrote:
tails_ wrote:

It is well known that intel's low voltage CPUs perform poorly, especially low voltage i3 processors. So for performance, I only buy standard i7 computers. Especially using MDPlayer, this software takes up a lot of CPU.
Pardon for the off-topic, but actually they can perform rather well by abusing turbo-boost technology: you can undervolt by about 0.2v and program turbo-boost cooldown of a few hours. This effectively oversteps built-in package overheat limit (which tends to be set to something like 60°C) and lets whole CPU run at turboboost frequency. Your mileage may wary but my laptop stabilizes at about 83°C and this is just fine when you are using it like this for a few hours at most.
More info here: https://github.com/erpalma/throttled

Post by Kaminari »

I'm a bit bothered by the fact that this pack is listed as a PC-88 soundtrack.

The way I understand it, those tunes have been composed on Sharp X1 + sound expansion board. But since that hardware is not specifically emulated by Mame, the music was logged via an equivalent solution for the PC-88 (JMB-X1 board). That doesn't make it a PC-88 soundtrack, does it? Shouldn't this pack be listed as X1, whichever method was used to record it?
  • AkirIkasu Offline

Re: NRTDRV Demo Songs

Post by AkirIkasu »

Wow, this is a little hidden gem of a soundtrack, even if it is mostly made up of covers. I probably wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't checked if the Moonsound demo track composers had anything else on this site. Kudos to Denjhang for finding and ripping this.

This might just be my new favorite rendition of the Space Harrier theme. It just goes to show that anything can be improved by adding more FM.
  • denjhang Offline

Re:

Post by denjhang »

Kaminari wrote: 2023-02-26, 12:39:32 I'm a bit bothered by the fact that this pack is listed as a PC-88 soundtrack.

The way I understand it, those tunes have been composed on Sharp X1 + sound expansion board. But since that hardware is not specifically emulated by Mame, the music was logged via an equivalent solution for the PC-88 (JMB-X1 board). That doesn't make it a PC-88 soundtrack, does it? Shouldn't this pack be listed as X1, whichever method was used to record it?
MAME doesn't have the NRTDRV hardware of the X1, and in fact the developers at MAME seemed to resent it when I asked for more. It is not easy for PC-88 to support NRTDRV hardware. Because this VGM package was recorded using PC-88, I wrote the system name truthfully.
  • denjhang Offline

Re: NRTDRV Demo Songs

Post by denjhang »

AkirIkasu wrote: 2024-01-12, 2:33:34 Wow, this is a little hidden gem of a soundtrack, even if it is mostly made up of covers. I probably wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't checked if the Moonsound demo track composers had anything else on this site. Kudos to Denjhang for finding and ripping this.

This might just be my new favorite rendition of the Space Harrier theme. It just goes to show that anything can be improved by adding more FM.
I made a hardware VGM and chip music player, you can use 4 YM2151 or even more kinds of FM chips to produce music.
https://www.tindie.com/products/32532/