Skip to content

Is there anyway to rip audio samples from Neo-Geo games?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• Nikanoru Offline

Re: Is there anyway to rip audio samples from Neo-Geo games?

Post by Nikanoru »

ValleyBell wrote: 2024-04-17, 22:59:23
  1. Please use an up-to-date version of vgm2txt. Your version doesn't show the GA20 clock in the header, so it is definitely pretty outdated. (older than from 2015?)
    The current version (from December 2022) properly decodes the DeltaT commands.
  2. The YM2610 clock is 8000000 Hz. You divide that by 144 to get the actual chip sample rate. (between 55 and 56 KHz).
    Then you can apply the formula that you listed. (sample Hz = chip sample rate * playback prescale / 65536)
Yeah i downloaded the 0.1 VGM Tools compiled zip from GitHub (i usually download compiled stuff, hence the mistake) so i fetched the 2022 win32 binaries zip from the wiki and now i have the sacred prescale numbers. In my case, the final frequency was 12000 so i was off by 200hz :p (i was expecting something like 12137 or 12079 or similar so the final number is kinda funny)

One more question if it's okay... i'm currently using this decoder by SuperCTR for ADPCM-B but i do know there's this other one that i used some years back when i ripped (guessing the frequency T_T) and uploaded quite a number of Neo Geo's fighting games voices (and unused ones found in the v.roms, but then my channel got nuked... RIP) so i wanted to know which one is better or if there's any difference at all

Thanks for your help with this and your continued work with videogame music! (and everyone involved too!) :salute:
Last edited by Nikanoru on 2024-04-18, 13:50:12, edited 1 time in total.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

superctr's decoder could be a bit more accurate, but I never compared the two, so they may also get the same results.

Post by MixerProductions »

Hey guys just bumping this to ask if anyone is able to assist with ripping ADPCM-A samples from Metal Slug 1-3, and Neo Geo Turf Masters?

I've ripped the majority of the B samples using the encoder/decoder from this thread, but the A sample ripper is locked at 18500 and most of the guitars seem to be missing or sound like crap when I rip them at that rate.

If anyone is interested in my progress btw, I've ripped almost every single A and B sample from every Neo Geo game from 1990 up to 1996:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... svFQBpcRvv

Still working on 1997 upwards currently but any help with those Nazca developed games would be much appreciated :)
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

ADPCM-A samples are always going to be at about 18.5 KHz. The exact value is "chip sample rate / 3".
This is a limitation of the sound chip. Only ADPCM-B supports a variable sample rate.

It should be noted that the ADPCM-A and ADPCM-B compression algorithms are different, so you need to use a decompression tool that fits the respective ADPCM type.
Also, ADPCM is sensitive to where the data starts - when there are superfluous or missing bytes at the beginning of the compressed data, this may cause a DC offset. Maybe the broken guitars are caused by the previous sample ending not at level 0 and cutting the original data to remove any "previous" sample data may make the decompression work.
ADPCM-A samples always start at an offset that is a multiple of 256 bytes.