Skip to content

What is your favorite sound chip, and why?

Talk about whatever you want. General forum rules still apply.

Moderator: Staff

What is your favorite sound chip, and why?

Post by dmbnation41 »

If you ask me, my favorite sound chip is the YM2608 chip, because not only it has FM channels and square wave channels, just like the YM2203 chip, but it also has rhythm channels, and one sample channel! It may seem a lot, but I bet you could handle that!
  • kitterbug Offline

Re: What is your favorite sound chip, and why?

Post by kitterbug »

I've got a soft spot for the DMGAPU. Something about it is oddly soothing, if nothing else it's my favorite psg/wsg! I especially like GBA tracks where it's used in tandem with the PCM. Namco C352, YM2612 OPN2, and YMF262 OPL3 are up there on my list too.
~ kit
  • GuiMiTomo Offline

Post by GuiMiTomo »

PSG (I know it's ont a soundchip) because it's very chiptuney, and OPL3, because it made the Bucket Relay Champ soundtrack (and Comet Summoner) better.
Still new in logging VGMs.
  • cmccaff1 Offline

Post by cmccaff1 »

If I can only pick one, it would be the K054539 (Konami custom IC).
Konami's composers made some absolutely brilliant tunes for that chip, though they often paired two of them to get more channels.

As far as off-the-shelf chips, my favorite is the YM2610.
4ch FM (slightly better than YM2203), a built-in AY-3-8910, and 7ch ADPCM is quite a powerful package for mid-80s standards.
(I prefer YM2610B and would have chosen it, except that was a Taito custom IC.)

The YMZ280B is a close second to the YM2610 in my book (and shares similarities with the K054539), but the 2610 beats it out for being used in more iconic games and being used to its full potential.
Very few composers took advantage of the YMZ280B's more advanced capabilities, including real-time sequenced music.
A 2xYMZ280B combo could be as powerful as 2xK054539, but we never got to hear it in action.

(For an honorable mention, I have a soft spot for the MSM5232. It's a pain to program, but sounds divine when used correctly. Taito and Alpha Denshi composers used it to make some very elegant music in the mid-80s. I will be very happy if VGMPlay supports it someday.)