Skip to content

future VGM SIDchip support?

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• RockRiver Offline

future VGM SIDchip support?

Post by RockRiver »

To make a SID file from C64 games or demos is a little difficult for a not coder musician like me.
Do you think in a future MESSmod and VGM file could support SID rip ?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Could - yes. But it probably won't happen in near future.
  • RockRiver Offline

Post by RockRiver »

OK!!
SID chip are very different from other soundchips?

[ sorry little OT: This famous chip was not used by musical or videogame industry outside commodore machines? No arcade machine based on it? ]

Meanwhile I will learn a bit 6502 assembler to rip c64 music on SID files
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

The SID chip doesn't seem more from other soundchips more than usual.
I just don't plan to add anything to the VGM format soon. (I still need to finish the VGM tools and VGM v1.70.)

According to the MAME/MESS source, the SID chip was only used in Cxx computers.
  • Knurek Offline

Post by Knurek »

RockRiver wrote:Meanwhile I will learn a bit 6502 assembler to rip c64 music on SID files
You know that there is something called High Voltage Sid Collection? http://hvsc.c64.org
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

• RockRiver Offline

Post by RockRiver »

Knurek wrote:High Voltage Sid Collectionhttp://hvsc.c64.org
Now I'm with this pfd document http://hvsc.c64.org/download/files/docs ... ummies.zip
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

RockRiver
Are you sure you have something not ripped so far?
  • Delek Offline

Post by Delek »

The emulation of the SID chip is awful. This chip has some analog stuff here and there that makes the emulation very difficult to done correctly, and I think that this type of things discourage when you think to add it to your program (this is happening to me with DefleMask and the upcoming SID Support).

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I think that the forum needs a Poll to make the things more clean and avoid all of these future soundchips requests. Because there is only one manager in the VGM format scene, and can give much tasks to VB.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • RockRiver Offline

Post by RockRiver »

tails_ wrote: Are you sure you have something not ripped so far?
There are some C64's game melodies from the important 80&90's spanish editors on 8bits: Opera, Dinamic, Topo... missing at HVSC.
I want to make that SID files [VGMs in the future, mates 8| ]

Sorry, my intention is not to overload any programmer work. :oops:
Only from my ignorance in code I wonder if it is easy to make VGM even more impressive. Thanks for your answers and these great web, soundchip software, work and tips :D
Last edited by RockRiver on 2012-08-20, 18:27:59, edited 1 time in total.
  • tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

RockRiver
Oh, Cool :P.
I wonder if there was any Russians who composed music on C64 back in 80s-90s?

Post by nitrofurano »

since the last comment here seems to be posted 8 years ago, we guess that there are some improvements about this topic? i'm also indeed very very curious about sid support from vgm format, not only because this audio chip actually existed in the 80's (it's not a kind of "fpga caprice" as we often were seeing in the retro scene)
  • chriskuta Offline

Post by chriskuta »

I think SID is pretty well covered outside vgm elsewhere, also and I quote Retrograde from stack exchange here
C64 music is typically distributed as executables which contain both play routine and music data (cf. also this answer). Many different players and editors exist, some native, some for "cross composing". The music is played by the player software continuously changing the SID chip's parameters.

Composers, or groups, often wrote the play routines themselves and held on to them, and the particulars of a given implementation was often part of the artist's distinctive style. Also, play routines evolved a great deal, everyone trying to get an edge in sound capability, raster time usage or whatever trade-off of the system's constraints were relevant in the context.

There is, however, a pretty standardized meta data header - PSID - that represents the information needed to play the music from emulating music players or for generic front ends on the C64 itself. But this was something that was invented after the fact, when people started building collections and wanting to play the music on other systems as well (fx the tracks you find in collections such as the HVSC are wrapped in this header).

There was not really any single "leader of the pack", but there were a few play routines used by popular and productive composers that you were likely to encounter
  • cyberic Offline

Post by cyberic »

Every chip or platform has its 'native' or 'standard' file format... .gbs, .nes, ,kss, there are many of them.

The .vgm format tries to be universal, so supporting SID is sill a good idea IMO.
Lots of more obscure chips are already supported, so why not the SID?

@ValleyBell , 8 years later, what is your opinion about this?