Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

Seems like an old problem I was having is returning with the newer versions of Winamp.

If I close winamp while a .vgm song is playing (or stopped, as long as it's the song "loaded" into the song info up top) Winamp fails to open the next time I try. The only way I can fix this is to remove in_vgm.dll, and start playing a non .vgm song, then close it, replace the dll in the plugins folder, and then it opens normally.

am I the only one who has this problem? it's not that annoying, but I still want to know why it's happening.

BTW, it gives no error report like the last time, just fails to open.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Rule #1 for bug reports: Give as much information as possible.

A assume "fails to open" means that it does nothing when you double-click Winamp. Can yo please check if the Winamp process is still running? It maybe doesn't close Winamp correctly.
Also, which exact Winap version? Is 5.6 new enough or would 5.0 already be one of the "newer" versions?

btw: This bug never happened to me and I always close Winamp with a VGM loaded when debugging in_vgm.
  • dissident93 Offline

Post by dissident93 »

sorry.

I have Windows 7, in_vgm 0.43, and Winamp version 5.65 (it happened to me before on 5.56, but rarely). also, when this happens, the process attempts to start up, but never does. but what's strange about this bug is that it doesn't happen every time, so I'm going to assume this has to do more with Winamp than the plugin.

In fact, I've attempted to replicate the bug for the last few minutes, but now it won't do it. "/
Winamp even seems to start up faster than normal now. weird. hopefully it will occur again so I can try to get a crash report or something from it.
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

Bug reports Y8950 ADPCM is silence, It was played in previous versions.

vgm sample : Psycho Soldier - Area 1
Edit : I deleted the file
Last edited by 2ch-H on 2013-11-10, 19:29:57, edited 1 time in total.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply to your bug report, because I already had it fixed at that time.
After fixing a bug with DeltaT ROMs with a size that is not a power of 2, I changed a few things and forgot to apply the changes to the Y8950 as well.

I plan to release a new version of VGMPlay/in_vgm in October. It will contain lots of bugfixes and a few new features.

Post by GTheGuardian »

I don't know why is it happening but Ultimate Air Combat / Aces - Iron Eagle 3 seems to have odd sounding DPCM in VGMPlay / in_vgm. It sounds okay in MESS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oecx2v8tv9ugt ... rimmed.vgm
Last edited by GTheGuardian on 2013-09-18, 23:01:49, edited 1 time in total.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I just made a log from an NSF of this game with nezplay++ (with updated DPCM logging) and it sounds fine. (Your log doesn't.)
I'm pretty sure it's a bug of MESS. (Yeah, DPCM logging is pretty buggy everywhere right now. Blame the NES' bank switching for it.)

Post by GTheGuardian »

Was suspecting that would be the issue (I now checked vgm2txt output, seems it's really because of bank switching). I guess I need to wait for updated NEZPlay then.

Post by JFD62780 »

errrrmmmm...

I'm on in_vgm 0.40.3 via XMPlay, and the Non-Instrumental versions of Stage 1 don't sound like they're working for me; they're either playing stuff too loud to the point of silence for those spurts of what I suspect are supposed to be digitized singing (An Arcade first?).

(insert former brainfart here) Will the next plugin release at least fix the fabled voices, so they can be heard?
Last edited by JFD62780 on 2013-09-26, 6:46:25, edited 1 time in total.
Until next post...
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Note: I moved the post above here from the Psycho Soldier topic.

Now let me quote a few lines from previous posts:
2ch-H wrote:Bug reports Y8950 ADPCM is silence, It was played in previous versions.

vgm sample : Psycho Soldier - Area 1
ValleyBell wrote:Sorry, I completely forgot to reply to your bug report, because I already had it fixed at that time.
I plan to release a new version of VGMPlay/in_vgm in October.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I have a bug report with in_vgm (I don't know if I anyone or me was reported it before): I cannot mute the N2A03 channels with Reset on track change option checked, neither if I check all. If I restart the music, it works, but when I mute/un-mute one channel, it un-mute all, forcing me to restart the music again. This problem can be solved in the future?
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

I just fixed a bug with the NES core:
When restarting a song (or seeking back), it unmuted all channels.

But I couldn't get your bug to work or I got it wrong.
Just to make it clear: "Reset on track change" unmutes every channel when you press the Stop button in Winamp. (or if you play another track in XMPlay, because the Stop button just pauses everything there)
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

So I finally got it done - you can now download VGMPlay/in_vgm 0.40.4 [post]from the [pack] OP.
I planned to release it a lot earlier, but there were a few things that caused a delay of about a month.

Anyway, here a list of the most important updates: (for a really detailed update list read VGMPlay_Updates.txt)
  • it's a lot faster
  • it's a lot more stable and doesn't waste RAM anymore (at least I hope so)
  • DAC Stream stuff works with the OKIM6258 and a few other chips now (that means you can post YM2151+OKIM6258 packs now - I'll optimize them with a WIP tool)
  • Hardware OPL got AY8910 support and a few other features
  • I added alternative sound cores for AY8910 and NES APU
  • the new (and default) AY core makes mid-song clock changes work (and games like City Connection sound right)
  • VGMPlay can now show Unicode in Windows and Linux (in Windows only with limitations)
  • VGMPlay uses the Console title to show the currently playing song
  • VGMPlay can now default to Japanese tags, if you want it
  • Linux users can compile VGMPlay with libao support
  • for Linux users the source now contains ZekeSulastin's vgm-player script, modded to support .7z and .vgm7z archives
  • I applied major MAME fixes/improvements for these chips: K051649/SCC, K054539, YMF271
  • I prepared VGMPlay/in_vgm for NES DPCM data block optimizations
  • I fixed a few bugs related to muting and/or restarting a song
  • previously VGMPlay exclusive options can now be changed in in_vgm by editing in_vgm.ini
Oh, and I almost forgot: SCSP support is offical, but there's one drawback: There's no decent tool to log it right now.
The emulation of MAME and M1 is so inaccurate (and the SCSP timer system so weird) that the song tempo is quite off. Over- or underclocking doesn't fix it.

Anyway, enjoy!
P.S.: I changed the internal volume of the AY8910, so I need to fix the chip volume header of most NEC PC packs. Until then, you can use the option DoubleSSGVol in VGMPlay.ini and in_vgm.ini to make it sound right.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

ValleyBell wrote:Oh, and I almost forgot: SCSP support is offical, but there's one drawback: There's no decent tool to log it right now.
The emulation of MAME and M1 is so inaccurate (and the SCSP timer system so weird) that the song tempo is quite off. Over- or underclocking doesn't fix it.
Two things to report:

1- [in_vgm] In the channel muting, the window of SCSP channel muting only shows 24 channels, but the SCSP has 32 channels. So, you need to resize the window;
2- [About core] The main purpose of the SCSP support, is for logging Model2X-CRX games, Model 3 games that didn't use 2xSCSP (unless if you changed you mind in the past and you added support for it) and ST-V games, because most of Saturn games are Streamed or RedBook audio. However, one can build a special version of Yabause with VGM logging, but the compatibility of Saturn games in Yabause are pretty bad.
Last edited by Sonic of 8! on 2013-11-02, 18:26:34, edited 1 time in total.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

Bug or vgm is strange?

Using the NSFPlay core pitch of "Balloon Fight/Vs. Balloon Fight - Track 02 Main BGM" is high.
It is normal in Mess core.