Skip to content

Problem With VGM2MID

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• MusicFox Offline

Problem With VGM2MID

Post by MusicFox »

Hello, everyone.
I tried to convert the Tetris Classic (DOS) music to MIDI in VGM2MID, but everytime I try to do it, it says Error #0 "
Does anyone know why it does this or if it can be fixed? Super Tetris converts just fine and I believe the two use the same exact sound engines.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time!
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

If I am right (and I'm pretty sure I am), Tetris Classic's VGMs are gzip compressed with .vgm extention.

Due to its age, vgm2mid doesn't support "compressed .vgm", only "uncompressed .vgm" and "compressed .vgz".
So you either need to rename all the files to .vgz or decompress them. Then it should work.
  • MusicFox Offline

Post by MusicFox »

I renamed it to .VGZ but it doesn't convert. It just sits there. I'm not sure if it's supposed to take a long time.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Which version of vgm2mid do you have? (date)
Also, I just noticed that the last vgm2mid updates I posted don't include gzip.exe, so it won't be able to decompress .vgz files.

With gzip.exe in the same directory as vgm2mid it works fine for me. I noticed that I left the OPL3 conversion is a pretty bad state though. It converts only the lower 9 channels (because it converts only the OPL2 part), so half of the notes are missing.
  • MusicFox Offline

Post by MusicFox »

0.5 Revision 60 (8/23/2010 10:50:30 AM)
I was able to get the file converted to MIDI but yeah, it doesn't sound right as if it's missing some channels. It's a shame but hopefully it gets fixed. :)