Skip to content

Promotion: invite your friends

And earn a special star

Important informations posted by the staff. Make sure to read [topic=1]the rules[/topic].

Moderator: Staff

• Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Promotion: invite your friends

Post by Tom »

Alright, here's the situation.

We've been online since 2011-11-30, and we only have 24 registered users, 10 of which never posted at all. I did what I could to promote this website on a few related forums (smspower, project2612, SSRG, RetroHack), but apparently we're still not known enough (just a few hours ago someone asked a question about Neo-Geo VGM files on smspower, for example). We need more activity on the forum, so here is the deal: I am instating a promotional campaign of sort, meaning that if you invite your friends and they become active users on the forum, I will award you with a new special star on your profile, and maybe some additional powers on the forum. The usual bottom line applies: don't abuse this or you'll regret it, as the special star you will be awarded will be gray in that case.

Tell your friends to write your username in the "Personal Notes" field when they register (that field could really be more used in general, but that's another topic).

Please note that this will be subjective. Inviting 9000 people who don't even know what is a music note won't make you eligible for the special star; on the other hand, if you know some amazing programmer/composer/ninja who comes here and starts brilliant conversations on par with awesome people such as ValleyBell, we will know how to thank you. Ideally I'd say that if you invite 3-5 cool people it would be neat.

Spread the word!
Also known as nineko.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

My friends don't like nostalgic games (and don't know what is a VGM file). And don't have a experience English language. So, I may invited at SMSP!.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • DalekSam Offline

Post by DalekSam »

If it's worth anything, I invited Reverie immediately after joining here, so you know.

*hit*

Actually I might have a few that could take an interest here, so I'll see what I can do to spread the word.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

DalekSam wrote:If it's worth anything, I invited Reverie immediately after joining here, so you know.
I believe you ;)

See, that's the spirit.
Also known as nineko.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

:bump:

One month later, we still need more activity :(

That's it, I'll post on the OverClocked ReMix forums, even though this means that I have to lose one of my alternate accounts, I'll use one with few posts.
Also known as nineko.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

The forum needs more activity. When I put vgmrips on Google, appear vgmaps instead.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

More activity won't help with Google; for that we would need more referrals, aka more links coming from other websites, possibly important ones.
Also known as nineko.
  • Sik Offline
  • Not a musician
    Not a musician

Post by Sik »

Kind of hard when mdscene itself doesn't rank high... although admittedly it's the first non-YouTube entry for "mdscene" in the search results. Also, if you look up "mdscene.net" (in which case mdscene's home page obviously is the first hit), vgmrips scores higher than Project MD =P (but less than OergServ, although I can see why).

vgmrips is the fourth hit if you search "vgmrips" on Google. Not good =/
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Well, if I put vgmrips into Google, the first I get is vgm.mdscene.net. :P
And I get the topic of Tetris Classic as second result.

btw: The OergServ and Tetris Classic are subpages of their website, so it makes sense to list them before other results.

Post by Kaminari »

Depends on the Google locale you're using.

On Google US (.com), "vgmrips" gives mdscene.net second after project2612.org. Not bad!

On Google JP and FR (and probably most others), mdscene.net is nowhere to be seen and the first result that comes for "vgmrips" is indeed vgmaps.com.
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

I have an idea to get some more referrals, though it would require a lot of work. I'll see if I can set it up in the next days. In the mean time, keep inviting ;)
Also known as nineko.

Post by Sonic of 8! »

I use Google BR. So, vgmrips is not nuch popular in some countries.
オモいカルチャーをオモチャーと言う - 細野晴臣

Post by Kaminari »

I had a quick look at the home page source and noticed you don't make use of any keyword metatag. You could try the following snipet and wait for a few days. It works usually well with common engines like Google.

Code: Select all

<meta name="keywords" content="vgm rips, vgmrips, vgm, ym2151, ym2203, ym2413, ym2608, ym2612, ym3812, opl2, opl3">
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow">
You can certainly spam the search spiders with more relevant keywords.
  • Sik Offline
  • Not a musician
    Not a musician

Post by Sik »

It depends, you can't put many keywords or Google will take it as spam and actually lower its ranking.

Um, I'll see putting a link to vgmrips in my signature in some boards around. That may give it more referrals >_>'
  • Tom Offline
  • Ragequit Member
    Ragequit Member

Post by Tom »

Speaking of odd Google results:

I wasn't aware to be so important for project2612, considering I didn't submit any pack at all :O_o:
Also known as nineko.