Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• blitzlunar Offline

Post by blitzlunar »

GD3 to implement the writing of tags(It is still incomplete).
Now that is what I've been waiting for! Will test it out later and see how well it works, especially whether or not it works with compressed VGZ files.

Post by Iori Branford »

What's the best method to make VGMPlay a static or shared library that client apps could use, like Game Music Emu?
A while ago, I tried tweaking the makefile and a little code, but I think the resulting library wouldn't play sound with any client app other than VGMPlayUI.c.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Basically you need everything but VGMPlayUI.c, VGMPlay_AddFmts.c and and Stream.c.
Then you do something like this.
Configuration settings are loaded between Init() and Init2().
  • MrKsoft Offline

Post by MrKsoft »

Minor thing... I've been having this issue for a while and keep forgetting to report it. When I run VGMPlay on my Win98 box so I can use OPL hardware passthrough, it displays kind of odd. Image attached. If the "File Name" path is longer than one line, like in the screenshot, it will show the path repeated all over the window. In the event that the path is short enough to fit on one line, it will instead print the title over and over (cut off like the path shown). Just a visual bug, everything else works fine, but I wanted to set up a hardware VGM jukebox kind of thing and this just doesn't really look presentable, and in_vgm doesn't do hardware FM. :P
Attachments
vgm98.png
The Wafflenet OPL Archive
PC/DOS demoscene & tracker music... in VGM format!
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Yeah, sorry. I broke the tag display under Windows 9x some time ago.
When I added Unicode tag display, I made a mistake in the fallback routine that displays the tags using the OEM charset.
I fixed it a while ago in the source, so the bug will be fixed in the next release.

Post by clonemaster12 »

I am having a strange problem and I am hoping you guys could help me.
Recently I decided to update in_vgm or the VGMplay plugin to the latest version and noticed something weird.
Before I updated it redid the Ecco the Dolphin soundtrack I had because I noticed on Project 2612 they updated the set in August of 2014.
But when I put the .vgz files in Winamp after I updated it they sounded different, like not as good, the volumes of some channels
seem too loud or too quiet, and I noticed the drums or percussion or whatever you call it sounded mono like the rest of the song and the drums sounded stereo like
when I had the same files in Winamp before I updated it. I am not exactly sure which version of in_vgm I had before but it must have been a different version and Iv'e never
really messed around with any of the settings in either version I had. Here is a comparison to show you what I am talking about. https://mega.co.nz/#!ZBd2xTYA!GBdikf5pk ... ZAjaHMN9Tc Sorry this is such a long post but I hope someone will be able to help figure out what is going on.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Did you try the old pack with the new in_vgm version? And the new pack with the old in_vgm version? If you changed both at the same time it's impossible to tell where the problem is.

Admin edit: Removed fullquote. There is a Post Reply button, btw.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

If the old drums had some stereo, that was probably an option that I incorrectly had enabled by default in previous versions.
The option is called "PseudoStereo" and can be enabled by editing in VGMPlay.ini or in_vgm.ini.

Depending on what program you use for in_vgm, the .ini file can be at various locations. For Winamp 5, it is under %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins, for most other programs it is in the folder with the DLL.

Post by clonemaster12 »

Yeah I had actually found out about that by downloading different versions and I found that the version that had that mistake was 0.40.2.
And thanks for telling me about editing the .ini file, didn't know about that.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

It's vgmrips' 3.5th birthday - the perfect time for a release of VGMPlay/in_vgm 0.40.6.

VGMPlay (Source)
in_vgm (Source)
git-repo copy with source of both

Detailed updates can be read in VGMPlay_Updates.txt. Here a summary of the updates:
  • 7 new chips (and support for WonderSwan is now official, btw)
  • many fixes (e.g. tag display in Win9x and sound core fixes)
  • support for NMK112 banking (OKIM6295) and improved uPD7759 support (for potential Sega Pico rips)
There are 2 example files included for the new chip. Oh, and in VGMPlay you can also play "wswan". (works in earlier versions, too)

Enjoy!

Post by Kaminari »

Happy 3.5th birthday!

Post by vampirefrog »

Congrats!

Post by Iori Branford »

Noice. So the NMK and Raizing games will be supported?
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Iori Branford wrote:Noice. So the NMK and Raizing games will be supported?
Correct. Coming very soon.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • mixmaster Offline

Post by mixmaster »

Cool!