Skip to content

MSX VGM ripping script for openMSX emulator

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• grauw Offline

MSX VGM ripping script for openMSX emulator

Post by grauw »

Here’s my VGM recording script for openMSX, based on ricbit’s:

https://bitbucket.org/grauw/vgmplay-msx ... at=default

It currently supports PSG and OPLL. Using the commands vgm_startrec and vgm_stoprec, it will generate a music.vgm file.

Post by nitrofurano »

it works, thanks! the script goes to ~/.openMSX/share/scripts , and music.vgm will be saved at ~/ (at least on GNU/Linux)
  • grauw Offline

Post by grauw »

Good to hear!

You can also specify a vgm file path to “vgm_startrec” explicitly by the way.

The default music.vgm file is saved to the current directory, when running openMSX from the OS X / Linux GUI this is indeed probably “~”, I think on Windows it may be outputting to the “C:\Program Files\openmsx” directory (depending on the application launch shortcut settings).

The script can also be loaded with the “-script” command line option, or at runtime with the “source” command on the TCL command line inside openMSX.

Post by nitrofurano »

it’s really a very useful tool - all my vgm extraction attempts were made with it! and thanks!!!! :)
  • niekniek Offline

Post by niekniek »

OpenMSX 0.14.0 was recently released, it has an improved integrated version of this script. It supports all sound chips commonly used by MSX software. Download and install, go to the console and try 'help vgm_rec'.