Pack version2.00
Last Update2022-11-11

• 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

Awesome rip.
Track 16 Unknown is "Continue" music.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Updated the pack. Thanks for pointing that out.

edit: Updated again, since I'm pretty sure the author of the Continue track is Takanagi.

Post by The Golden Horse »

Nice! I noticed two things, though:
  1. All of the music in this pack, using in_vgm and VGMPlay 0.40.6 as released publically, plays in a different key than intended, as the likely result of MAME playing Tekken's audio at a higher pitch than intended. For instance, this is a recorded excerpt (OGG format to reduce filesize) of the Windermere rip from the pack. According to the official arcade OST, however, this is how the Windermere theme is supposed to sound.
  2. The co-composer's surname is not "Takanagi" but "Takayanagi".
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed the composer name.

The (System 11) pitch is correct, I verified it with 1. the Xevious 3D/G+ soundtrack and PS1 game rips, 2. a Tekken PCB recording (skip to around 13:58 and compare with the OST version of "Staff Roll" and my rip.)

In fact, I even sent a pull request to MAME with the new pitch values.

Post by JFD62780 »

I second Herring's reply and follow it with a request:

Can you please add the Namco logo jingle as well? I thought the logo there looked good enough at the time to encompass ALL of Namco, sorta like that one Konami logo encompassed all its 16-bit releases. ;)
Until next post...
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Sure, but not until I come back home. Stay tuned....

Also yes, I am working on Xevious 3D/G. Have to deal with some music triggers for the 2nd part of the boss themes, as well as fixing my optimizations (finally found some C352 rips that actually used the "link loop" feature)
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Right, updated the pack again. Added tracks Namco Logo and Credit, as well as added a note about the pitch.

Post by JFD62780 »

ctr wrote:The (System 11) pitch is correct, I verified it with:

1. the Xevious 3D/G+ soundtrack and PS1 game rips,
2. a Tekken PCB recording (skip to around 13:58 and compare with the OST version of "Staff Roll" and my rip.)
Not sure how to say this, and I believe the Xevious 3D/G soundtrack release is correct, as evidenced by Stage 1's ode to the classic, but I'm not sure about the particular Tekken board depicted in that recording. The character voices there were a bit higher-pitched as well, and I at least know the signature grunts and groans of Yoshimitsu enough to tell. Even Jack's death groan don't get that high until at least Tekken 3. :P

Not sure why Tekken has to be the anomaly with this quirk, or at least that particular board (pre-95 release), but my ears still say something's off...

Not that anything else suffers other than the pitch. Moving on...
Until next post...
  • kirishima Offline

Post by kirishima »

Isn't Monument Valley actually much longer than in here or the soundtrack version? I remember recording this in mame and noticed it played much longer than anticipated due to some variation in the sfx. Also, what did you use to log these?
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

I used MAME v.156 (self-modified) to record this. As noted in the .txt file, Monument Valley is a bit longer in-game due to one of the tracks being off sync. Adding enough loops to synchronise this track with the rest of the song would add several minutes to the song, which, being basically ambience, wouldn't make it particularly fun to listen to.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

The ending song has a missing song trigger, need to relog this ...