Skip to content

VGMPlay / in_vgm

Last update: 2023-12-31 (v0.51.1)

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• tails_ Offline

Post by tails_ »

So I wanted to update VGMPlay from 0.40.3 to 0.40.5 on my ArchLinux machine.
A couple of issues to report:

1. SAA1099 is missing from Makefile's EMUOBJ
2. At least on my machine io.h is included as <sys/io.h>
3. _wfopen, _wopen and gzopen_w are probably windows specific, replacing these with non-wide variants work OK.
4. As I'm making arch package install -m *** had to be changed to install -Dm ***
5. yrw801.rom is not included in source, maybe use separate install for it?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Most of those issues got already fixed in the Git repo.

About the YRW ROM ... even though it fails to copy the file, make should still return a success code, because it ignores errors on that command.
  • MaliceX Offline

Post by MaliceX »

Alternate build for VGMPlay 0.40.6 for OPL Hardware Playback on WinNT (including Win7 x64) updated:

Last updated 1 Aug 2015
  • (31-Jul) Replaced PortTalk routines with InpOut32.dll-based ones (again...)
  • (31-Jul) Added patch table switching between VGM's in OPLL and VRC7 mode for hardware playback (note: does not apply if YM2413 set to MEKA HW core)
  • (1-Aug) Fixed YM2149 PIN26_SEL_LOW mode to halve its master clock for hardware playback (basically played one octave too high)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/128 ... pout32.zip
Attachments
VGMPlay-040-6-inpout32.zip
Last updated 1 Aug 2015
(394.48 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Last edited by MaliceX on 2015-08-13, 16:18:07, edited 1 time in total.
-dj.tuBIG/MaliceX
  • Manos2610 Offline

Turbografx-16 Noise Algorithm?

Post by Manos2610 »

Is this a good place to talk about any suggestions for the next update of this in_vgm plugin?

A while back, I tested some games like Bonk's Adventure on a real Turbografx 16 (well, actually a TurboExpress) that play straight-out noise in a constant loop. One of the soundtracks on the game includes noise being played representing the sound of a waterfall. I determined that the noise algorithm sounds totally different from what most players and emulators make it out to be, including this plugin. They assume that the sound chip uses the same algorithm as the NES (15-bit LFSR) but it doesn't sound anything like it, at least I don't think it does.

I do not know how to reverse-engineer anything, let alone a sound chip, to examine the output more carefully, but if anyone else can confirm this on a real system, that would be good. Oh, and I believe the Jackie Chan game VGM (Opening 3) plays the noise, too.

Post by Kaminari »

The VGM format is not really responsible for how music is rendered.

For PC Engine games, VGM uses Ootake's audio core. If you have suggestions to improve its sound emulation (especially the noise generator), you should contact Kitao Nakamura.
  • mrparn Offline

K007232

Post by mrparn »

I know I shouldn't ask for features here, but what I'd like to know is this: should I keep my hopes up for future K007232 support? I think there's a big gap in Konami support without this chip. Would it be too difficult to support it in the future? Thank you for your attention and I hope you forgive my impertinence.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

So far I've been pretty hesitant with sound chips that have only very few channels.
One of the reasons is that having 2 or more of them is pretty common (looks at MSM 5205) and VGMs support only 2x the same chip at once currently.
I might find a better way to support multiple chips than we have currently, but that won't be within the next few months.
  • mrparn Offline

Post by mrparn »

Oh, okay, thank you for the explanation. I understand. I'm confident you can find a great solution for this problem, and great solutions take time and care. Thank you also for not completely shooting down my hopes. :wink: I'm grateful for all your work in in_vgm, vgmplay and vgmrips. It's been amazing.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

Due to regular reports about VGMPlay or the VGM tools not being able to read VGMs properly due to a zlib bug, here is a fixed zlib1.dll.
link

Just building it with MSVC fixed this issue, but I also made another tiny change to improve gzseek.
  • Specter Offline

Post by Specter »

I've just noticed that VGMPlay/in_vgm 0.40.6 doesn't play some of the tracks correctly (like for example Lauper from The Return of Ishtar set or Below 2nd Place Name Registration from Ghosts'n Goblins set) unless I turn down the volume down to around -8 Db. Is there any way to fix this?
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

The VGM's are clipping, because the volume is too high. (The default volume used by VGMPlay doesn't fit for everything.)

If you copy vgm_ptch into the folder of the extracted VGMs (or set the PATH variable to point to the folder with the VGM tools), you can execute this small line in cmd.exe to reduce the volume:

Code: Select all

for %f in (*.vg?) do vgm_ptch -SetVolMod:0.25 "%f"
I might update the Ghosts 'n' Goblins pack with one of the next updates.
  • Specter Offline

Post by Specter »

I understand, thanks for help and also for updating the Ghosts'n Goblins set.

Admin edit: Removed fullquote
  • jrlepage Offline

Post by jrlepage »

This is so blatant I'm assuming it's a known issue, but on the off chance it was overlooked, there is currently no way to mute (or unmute) channels 25-32 on the C352. Pressing keys P through W does nothing either.
Attachments
Untitled.png
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

It's a known issue. Only way to mute channels 25-32 are using the mute mask in VGMPlay.ini.
  • kirishima Offline

Post by kirishima »

jrlepage wrote:This is so blatant I'm assuming it's a known issue, but on the off chance it was overlooked, there is currently no way to mute (or unmute) channels 25-32 on the C352. Pressing keys P through W does nothing either.
You could try the foobar version, since it has no such issue.