Skip to content

Apple II Mockingboard

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

Apple II Mockingboard

Post by TheAlmightyGuru »

Does anyone know if it's possible to log Apple II Mockingboard music to VGM? Depending on the version, the board uses one or two AY-3-8910s, and may possibly use two boards (12 channel in total). I know the AY-3-8910 is already supported by VGM, I just don't know if there is a way to log the data. There aren't very many games that used the Mockingboard, but I'm trying to add as many Ultima soundtracks as I can to the Videogame Music Preservation Foundation (vgmpf.com). I guess Apple II just didn't have enough music to warrant a SID equivalent. :-(
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

So far the only thing that emulates the Apple II and also logs VGMs is MAME/MESS. VGMs are limited to 2 AY chips at the same time though. (unless you do some additional hacks - like those few VGMs that use the YM2203's SSG as 3rd AY chip)

Post by TheAlmightyGuru »

Thanks for the response ValleyBell, I'll pull down the modified MESS and see if I can't get a good start with Ultima III: Exodus which just uses a single Mockingboard.
  • roughana Offline

Post by roughana »

Following up, I see that Ultima III, IV & V have been ripped in the meantime.
I've managed to get the tools working together to do a preliminary rip of Skyfox. (MAME w/vgmwrite)
There are lists of games that support the Mockingboard (which is growing longer with new releases!) so there's plenty that could be done if desired.