Skip to content

A better rating system?

If you're experiencing problems with the website (packs pages/forum/wiki) or you would like to suggest something, you can post here.

Moderator: Staff

• LokiStuff Offline

A better rating system?

Post by LokiStuff »

I find that the way ratings work are a bit odd... Judging from the "Top rated packs" list, it seems that the prioritized packs are the ones that have five star ratings, whether it be 3 five star votes or just 1 vote. So if a pack has 3 votes that are all five star, but then get one four start vote, the pack will be put lower than ALL the five star votes, even the ones with just one vote...
It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me, shouldn't the ratings have a combined score instead? Like, a pack with only one five star vote = 5 points, while a pack with three five star votes + one four star vote = 19 points?
Maybe this is known, and is something that can't be fixed now, but I thought I could at least ask about it. Thanks for your time.
  • drdevil Offline

Post by drdevil »

I agree with you; the rating system indeed is flawed. I recall vampi once saying on IRC that he was going to fix the issue, though I'm not sure when the changes will occur.
I'm HarmoDevil. Formerly Dr Devil, but I still use the drdevil username here.

Check out my Soundcloud.

I might get back to VGM ripping someday.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

There has been talk earlier about the ratings. The main problem is that we don't have enough votes on all packs to establish a 'stable' average rank on each pack. If we were to hide ratings for packs that don't have enough votes (10 votes minimum maybe?), then we would not only have more accurate ranking, but we might also create an incentive to vote on packs, but on the other hand we would have few complete ratings as most packs currently have 0-5 votes...
  • 2ch-H Offline

Post by 2ch-H »

"Five-star" rating of think the outdated, I think it is better to "Like button".
Personally, Negatively Ratings is not needed. (Because the music is there are likes and dislikes)

Post by vampirefrog »

We could order by a weighted rating, which takes into account the number of good ratings. It would be slightly more organic than the current sorting system.

I have something like this:

Post by vampirefrog »

We can also fiddle with the weights:

Post by Kaminari »

The "scoreboard" really should exclude any pack with less than five voters, simple as that. In my opinion five is a good start, 10 votes is too much because I don't think a single pack gathered that many ratings, but on the other hand with the current system any soundtrack with just one 5-star rating can claim the top position, which is silly.

Post by vampirefrog »

Kaminari wrote:The "scoreboard" really should exclude any pack with less than five voters, simple as that. In my opinion five is a good start, 10 votes is too much because I don't think a single pack gathered that many ratings, but on the other hand with the current system any soundtrack with just one 5-star rating can claim the top position, which is silly.
What are you talking about? There are two places where there is rating-based sorting - on the front page, "Top rated packs", and the top rated packs listing. They are currently sorted by average rating and number of ratings. So the top pack has the most 5 star ratings. It is impossible for a pack with one 5-star rating to get to the top, because there are packs with more 5-star ratings above it.

There is another section on the front page "Latest high rated" which simply shows the packs that were recently rated 5 stars by any user.

I believe the weighted sorting system that I proposed will fix things well enough.

Post by Kaminari »

"Scoreboard" = "Top listing"
It is impossible for a pack with one 5-star rating to get to the top, because there are packs with more 5-star ratings above it.
It was an example. And technically, yes it was perfectly possible for a pack with one 5-star rating to get on top if all other packs above it had a global score of less than 5, which was precisely the problem discussed in this topic. I see you've modified the system and it behaves much better now, although there's still the odd case (like Ridge Racer, which has eight 5-star ratings, but is stuck at the fifth position).

Post by vampirefrog »

I guess we can tweak it later on.

Post by vampirefrog »

I have done more testing, it works fine now.
  • LokiStuff Offline

Post by LokiStuff »

Yeah, this looks a lot better right now, thanks!