Skip to content

mod2vgm issue

Technical discussion which is not directly related to VGM files. Talk about Hardware and Software.

Moderator: Staff

• lo zaffo Offline

mod2vgm issue

Post by lo zaffo »

Hello,
I'm using a lot mod2vgm (OPL4/YMF278B, I don't understand if there is an option for YMZ280B) by ctr.
Thanks ctr!
I just came across a module .mod that cannot be converted properly by mod2vgm.
Its name is hold me 2ooo by Markus.
It can be downloaded here on Amiga Music Preservation

ttp://ftp.t-pas.net/downmod.php?index=125094

Here is a technical sheet of the module

ttp://ftp.t-pas.net/analyzer2.php?idx=125094

I wonder what is it that make a difference from other dozens of .MOD happily converted (and played on MSX2 + MFR SCC+ +SD + DalSoRi + VGMPlay)

I started looking into mod2vgm source code, but my level of knowledge is far too low at the moment (barely know what a VGM is, same for MOD) ...

Any help or suggestion appreciated!

P.S. I'm not allowed to post URL, I went around this rule at my first post, so in case this is too rude of me, I will clean my post and apologize. Sorry!
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

It doesn't work because it has instruments longer than 65535 samples. As I mentioned in the readme, the OPL4 does not support longer samples. You either have to downsample them enough to fit, or split the sample and edit the .MOD to try to cue the sample parts.

edit: and yes I mentioned the YMZ in the readme. It isn't supported at the moment, I have just considered it. Use xm2vgm if you want to use that chip.
  • lo zaffo Offline

Post by lo zaffo »

Thanks for this laser-fast answer! :o

I'll try to figure out what is the best work-around for the case. :?:
  • lo zaffo Offline

Post by lo zaffo »

I downsampled "what a hot piece.wav" @ 4182 samples/s rate and scaled down one octave every invocation in the module using OpenMPT because I read on the internet that Impulse Tracker will play it @ 8363 samples/s anyway.

Now module file seems prepared, nonetheless converted vgm is goofy and as hell and a different piece.

I will try to truncate to maximum 65535 samples dimension (i.e. circa 5 seconds cut out) and try again.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Try to split the long samples into multiple parts, like this.
  • lo zaffo Offline

Post by lo zaffo »

You did it! :beer:
Congratulations!

My plan was to play on my MSX2+ a compilation of module files Kawano @aka_obi did for Tecnique.

See here (URL misses starting 'h')

ttps://twitter.com/aka_obi/status/752188072352100353

Thanks again!

lo zaffo