OSDOS
Sound ChipsOPL2/YM3812
Tracks13
Playing time19:41
Pack authorMills
Pack version1.02
Last Update2018-04-04

Pack author's comment
I wanted to make this pack because this is a very special game for me and I still love it.
Also it uses the Loudness adlib tracker (the same as Tyrian) which is one of the most complex for the OPL2/YM3812.
Last edited by Mills on 2018-01-21, 23:24:16, edited 5 times in total.
  • grauw Offline

Post by grauw »

Thanks! Pretty nice music :).

But don’t use vgm_facc… It reduces timing accuracy to a mere 60 Hz, that probably won’t pass the submission criteria. The exact original timing should be preserved, it can cause subtle differences in how the music sounds.

Also I think you said the music used the OPL2, but most tracks are marked as YMF262. If that is not actually the case, you can fix that with a tool but I can’t find it right now so hopefully someone else can point you to it.
  • Mills Offline

Post by Mills »

grauw wrote:Thanks! Pretty nice music :).

But don’t use vgm_facc… It reduces timing accuracy to a mere 60 Hz, that probably won’t pass the submission criteria. The exact original timing should be preserved, it can cause subtle differences in how the music sounds.

Also I think you said the music used the OPL2, but most tracks are marked as YMF262. If that is not actually the case, you can fix that with a tool but I can’t find it right now so hopefully someone else can point you to it.
But if I don't use the facc the files are huge... And the YMF262.. it is surelly something wrong with my dosbox config so I ripped ymf262 logs instead of the ym3812.

This game was very easy to rip because I used a DOS adlib music player to play the original tracker files, so I can fix it. According to the player the original tracker modules run at 70 Hz, so they lost some data there.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

If we need to decide between more accurate logs and smaller logs, we go with more accurate logs. (I usually keep the raw and trimmed but unoptimized VGMs around for some time, btw - just in case.)
vgm_facc is a tool I made for SMSPower.org, because they usually go for smaller logs.

You can convert between OPL3 and OPL2 using the "opl_23" tool. In order to record "pure" OPL2 VGMs, you need to set oplmode=opl2 or emulate a SoundBlaster 1/2 (non-Pro).
  • Mills Offline

Post by Mills »

ValleyBell wrote:If we need to decide between more accurate logs and smaller logs, we go with more accurate logs. (I usually keep the raw and trimmed but unoptimized VGMs around for some time, btw - just in case.)
vgm_facc is a tool I made for SMSPower.org, because they usually go for smaller logs.

You can convert between OPL3 and OPL2 using the "opl_23" tool. In order to record "pure" OPL2 VGMs, you need to set oplmode=opl2 or emulate a SoundBlaster 1/2 (non-Pro).
Ups I was ripping using the opl3.. and also I forgot to add the song lenghts, I'll upload the fixed pack tomorrow, it's late here.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

My only other nitpicks so far are:
1. the file names (We don't use a "01 - Title.vgz" but just "01 Title.vgz")
2. The fact that tabs are present in the .txt, which already screws up the layout in Windows notepad.

You can generate the song list by dropping the .m3u on the vgm_stat tool, btw.

btw: According to tails_, the sound driver used by Tyrian (and apparently this game as well) does the same optimization as vgm_cmp. You might need to use vgm_trim with the "-state" parameter in order to be able to strip the leading silence properly.
  • Mills Offline

Post by Mills »

ValleyBell wrote:My only other nitpicks so far are:
1. the file names (We don't use a "01 - Title.vgz" but just "01 Title.vgz")
2. The fact that tabs are present in the .txt, which already screws up the layout in Windows notepad.

You can generate the song list by dropping the .m3u on the vgm_stat tool, btw.

btw: According to tails_, the sound driver used by Tyrian (and apparently this game as well) does the same optimization as vgm_cmp. You might need to use vgm_trim with the "-state" parameter in order to be able to strip the leading silence properly.
I did not use vgm_trim for most of the tracks because the songs have no perfect loops, they are more like OST tracks from movies, just keep changing untill the end, and also they have a silence at the start and the end.
Sorry for the tabs in the txt and the names, I'm used to notepad++ and programming stuff that uses tabs all the time :).

It is now fixed.