Skip to content

Difference between the site's player and my player

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• Marscaleb Offline

Difference between the site's player and my player

Post by Marscaleb »

Hello, I just came across this site through another site where someone was listing his favorite soundtracks to use the YM2203. There were several such soundtracks listed here that I haven't seen converted to mp3 and posted on the sites I normally visit.

I was planning on converting them to mp3's for my own personal use, but I found that they sounded slightly different between winamp and the player that is used on this site. Specifically I can notice that some sounds are a little quieter, pushed more toward the background while other sounds (that should be more in the background) are given priority. And the version that plays directly on the site is better.

I was following the links on this site, but it seems I am already using the same winamp plugin suggested here.
This has me at a loss. How can I easily convert these to mp3's with them sounding proper? What player is embedded into the site that is playing the songs better than my winamp plugin?
Last edited by Marscaleb on 2018-08-10, 0:17:06, edited 1 time in total.
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

do you have the latest version of in_vgm? The site uses the same code, so there should be no audio differences, apart from the mp3 compression. Maybe it's that compression that you notice, MP3 like many lossy codecs tends to attenuate higher frequencies.

Post by vampirefrog »

Please be more specific, caleb.
  • Marscaleb Offline

Post by Marscaleb »

ctr wrote:do you have the latest version of in_vgm? The site uses the same code, so there should be no audio differences, apart from the mp3 compression. Maybe it's that compression that you notice, MP3 like many lossy codecs tends to attenuate higher frequencies.
Hmm, that's a little strange. The update text file lists the latest changes at the bottom, instead of at the top. When I opened that file it looked like it was six years old, so I had thought it was older than the version I already had.
But, yeah, looks like it actually is the latest version, and that fixed the discrepancy.

Well whatever; looks like that was entirely my own fault for not checking more thoroughly. Sorry to bother you.
  • ValleyBell Offline

Post by ValleyBell »

There also are a few other factors that slightly affect the sound - like output sample rate and resampling modes.
You can try playing around with the "Chip Sample Mode" setting. That one is very likely to affect the sound of certain bell and noise sounds of FM chips. (recommended are "native" or "highest, FM native")