Skip to content

Converting MDX files to VGM/VGZ files

Technical discussion about the VGM format, and all the software you need to handle VGM files.

Moderator: Staff

• Speore Offline

Converting MDX files to VGM/VGZ files

Post by Speore »

Hello

I have recently found myself with a collection of MDX files to X680000 games, some of which are not up on VGMrips yet. I'm wondering if there a way to convert these MDX files to VGM or VGZ for easier splitting of channels and such. I checked the forum to see if anyone else had answers to this before joining not to waste anyone's time but couldn't find any.

Thanks
  • ctr Offline

Post by ctr »

Try Delek's mdx2vgm. Note that it does not handle the PCM8 (8-channel ADPCM mixing) used by some MDX file. Also there is a thread on it.

Post by vampirefrog »

Speore wrote:Hello

I have recently found myself with a collection of MDX files to X680000 games, some of which are not up on VGMrips yet. I'm wondering if there a way to convert these MDX files to VGM or VGZ for easier splitting of channels and such. I checked the forum to see if anyone else had answers to this before joining not to waste anyone's time but couldn't find any.

Thanks
I am working on such a tool but it is in progress. There is an existing working tool that converts to MIDI, though.
  • Speore Offline

Post by Speore »

The release on Delek's mdx2vgm thread is dead and the github isn't very helpful to me.
Interested in vampirefrogs release, got the mdx2midi working after having to find a missing dll (libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll).
tested it out with a track from OverTake.

Post by vampirefrog »

if you just want to mute channels, try the HDS image in XM6 TypeG. You'll need to find the ROM files as well, and I think this tutorial can help you setup stuff.

Once you get MMDSP working (which comes installed with the HDS file), you can press 1-9 to mute individual channels. I don't know how to mute channels 10 to 16, but it's probably possible. You can also log VGM files with XM6 Pro-68k.

Also, thanks for reporting the need for that DLL.