vgmrips

The forum about vgm files
It is currently 2018-12-11, 9:28:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: MAME/MESS VGM mod
PostPosted: 2018-08-25, 22:36:07 

Contributors Contributors

The fix allowed MAME/MESS VGM mod to compile completely with both GCC and Clang. But when enabling vgmwrite, the GCC build exits with
Code:
*** buffer overflow detected ***: mame terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

Luckily, the Clang build works with vgmwrite enabled. I was able to record a VGM from adlib tracker 2 DOS version 2.3.56 using the following MAME command line.

Code:
mame ct486 -ramsize 16M -isa1 svga_et4k -isa2 sblaster_16 -hard1 dos622.chd -flop1 floppy.ima

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2018-09-22, 12:48:38 

I'd like to report an issue in the dumping of DMG-CPU VGMs - There is a high chance that the Programmable Waveform can be altered mid-song.
The alteration of the wave causes one note to sound completely different, but then it fixes itself in the next note.
However, it gets even worse after optimizing with ValleyBell's vgm_cmp.exe. The alteration becomes permanent.
Examples:
Attachment:
VGMissue.zip [112.81 KiB]
Downloaded 14 times

Example 1 is the raw VGM dump (can be trimmed too)
Example 2 is the VGM after being compressed with vgm_cmp.exe

And to add, (this isn't a report, but rather a suggestion...)
Since the beginning, MAME/MESS was already one of the most inaccurate multi-emulators to go to...
And in my honest opinion, it is one of the least user friendly emulators as well.

I'd heavily consider investing in figuring out how to implement VGM dumping in TASVideos' BizHawk, which is an emulator focusing on accuracy.
Or at least, RetroArch with its Libretro cores.
If any of that is possible, of course... but I'd still look into the issue I pointed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2018-09-22, 18:12:24 

Staff Staff
Reverse engineers Reverse engineers

1. You shouldn't use vgm_cmp for gameboy VGMs. The latest version of vgm_cmp disables optimization completely for gameboy due to some problems in the process. And 'raw' VGMs without optimization may sound better if the emulation in vgmplay itself is improved (though see the following points)
2. Gameboy is a bit special since some registers are changed by the sound chip and modified by the CPU at the same time, though I believe logging problems caused by this have been fixed at this point.
3. Both bizhawk and retroarch are just frontends, the emulators are separate projects and the interface is quite rigid anyway, there is no way to easily add VGM logging except in the stand alone emulators.
4. Have you tried the latest versions of MAME and NEZPlug?
5. Have you tried the latest version of VGMPlay?
6. Try the chatbox if you don't get a response in the forums, instead of just reposting the issue in every subforum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2018-09-23, 0:30:02 

Staff Staff
Programmers Programmers
Musicians Musicians
Reverse engineers Reverse engineers

1. Actually the fixed vgm_cmp is hidden in one of the later posts in the VGM tool topic, so he isn't really to blame.

2./4./5. Logging and replaying problems with GameBoy VGMs should be fixed in MAME 0.200 (GB sound emulation got fixed in 0.179) and VGMPlay 0.40.8.

3. I don't consider modding BizHawk/RetroArch indeed because they just include multiple emulator cores and I would have to separately modify each of them. (E.g. if there is an emulation core for Sega Master System and another one for MegaDrive, I need to add PSG logging separately to each of them.)
For this reason, I modded VBjin instead of Mednafen, for example.
MAME has the advantage of being the first emulator I modded. And everything is structured in a way that makes modding easier than it is with those multi-core emulators.

I agree that MAME is often a bit lacking when it comes to accuracy though. Especially things that depend on cycle timing seem off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2018-09-23, 2:55:33 

ValleyBell wrote:
1. Actually the fixed vgm_cmp is hidden in one of the later posts in the VGM tool topic, so he isn't really to blame.

2./4./5. Logging and replaying problems with GameBoy VGMs should be fixed in MAME 0.200 (GB sound emulation got fixed in 0.179) and VGMPlay 0.40.8.

3. I don't consider modding BizHawk/RetroArch indeed because they just include multiple emulator cores and I would have to separately modify each of them. (E.g. if there is an emulation core for Sega Master System and another one for MegaDrive, I need to add PSG logging separately to each of them.)
For this reason, I modded VBjin instead of Mednafen, for example.
MAME has the advantage of being the first emulator I modded. And everything is structured in a way that makes modding easier than it is with those multi-core emulators.

I agree that MAME is often a bit lacking when it comes to accuracy though. Especially things that depend on cycle timing seem off.

Thanks for the reply!
However, I updated VGMPlay AND used MAME 0.200 to log, but I'm still getting sound issues.
If you want to investigate what might be causing it the VGM with the issue is in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2966&p=10160

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8