Over the years various programs have been written to work with different aspects of VGM files, beginning with the original all-in-one VGMTool by Maxim. An update to the original VGMTool, tagged as version 2R6, was released by NeoLogiX to resolve YM2612 and YM2151 processing issues but was found to have numerous other bugs (including buggy support for the particular UTF-16/UCS2 used for GD3 tagging) that rendered it unsuitable for widespread use.
ValleyBell currently releases the most up-to-date tools for working with VGMs, though they are all command-line.
Tools by ValleyBell
- Command-line tools dro2vgm, optvgmrf, vgm_cmp, vgm_cnt, vgm_dbc, vgm_facc, vgm_ndlz, vgm_ptch, vgm_smp1, vgm_sptd, vgm_spts, vgm_sro, vgm_stat, vgm_tag, vgm_trim, vgm_vol, vgm2txt, vgmlpfnd, vgmmerge
- Please refer to the Readme for further information on what the tools do and how they are used.
- The most recent update to Paul Jensen's original VB6-based VGM2MID; handles most VGM v1.51 and a few 1.61 chips.
Tools by NeoLogiX
- official release thread | open beta thread
- Win64 binary | Win32 binary | source
- vgm2pre is a program to save instrument presets from VGMs to formats usable in various trackers and sequencers. It currently dumps FM presets from VGMs with YM2612 data.
- YM2612 FM presets can be dumped to VGI, TFI, TYI, EIF, DMP, Y12, and GYB formats.
- vgm2mid, Sphere edition
- VGMTool v3
- As early as 2012 NeoLogiX announced plans to completely revamp VGMTool for modern systems with the goal of making the codebase easier to update and maintain than the original Win32-only VGMTool source. Though he released screenshots of work-in-progress to garner attention and has uploaded source code to it, development is not complete. Release date is currently unknown.